UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2019, 2:54 pm   #21
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Can you identify these boards ?

Telefusion did have a very active, and varied, manufacturing branch to the business, "Teleng" by name.
I came across their very well made aerial distribution amps (valved, of course) when I worked for them in the late 50's, so I imagine they would already have the expertise to produce a T.V. chassis without much difficulty. Tony.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:47 am   #22
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I remember Teleng aerial amplifiers - didn't make the connection to Telefusion.
The rental TVs in the Seventies had Telefusion, Baird, DER and so on proudly emblazoned on the front, possibly to discourage theft. Then renting was seen as a poor man's game and they realised that having 'ordinary' sets was the way to go.
Regardng the home grown sets mentioned in post #20, Tyne has been the subject of some discussion on this forum before. Berryvision - I vaguely remember these but was never lucky enough to service one.
Old 27th May 2019, 5:10 pm   #23
Tazman1966
Nonode

I did have a Telpro about ten years ago and have finally found the pictures of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1057.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	183961   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1058.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	183962   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1059.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	183963   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1060.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	183964   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1056.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	183965  

Old 31st May 2019, 1:00 pm   #24
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - now I remember them a bit better! In fact, I can't see how accessibilty is any better than on a Bradford. The decoder is difficult to acess for adjustment, unlike the Decca, as is the timebase and IF. The LOPT and tripler are just as difficult to replace, and the mains switch was [pretty poor as well.
The only advantage I can see is the audio/power board is easier to get to, and makes the wirewound 3.3 ohm easier to replace - and you don't run the risk of getting those infernal metal clips stuck underneath the board when working in a dark corner, which became so much brighter as the fuse blew spectacularly...
Old 31st May 2019, 10:59 pm   #25
HurtyAC
Tetrode

Hi All,
I used to come across Telpro televisions when I worked for myself in the mid/late 70's. These were bought sets. I thought they where a much better layout than the original Decca 30 chassis They where electronically identical with the same components. It was much easier to service the power supply than on the Decca trying to get the long power/audio board out from the bottom of the chassis!! The line/frame oscillator and output stages hinged out of the cabinet making access a treat and the cabinets where more modern looking with the slider controls and varicap tuner.
I went to work for Telefusion in 1982 and their standard sets where Decca Bradford 10 and 30 series and Telpro's, Decca 80's, 100's then the new 120's (Tatung). Telefusion was one of those companies that rented Sony's too. I was taken on from Sony to do Video Recorder servicing at Preston's Moorbrook St service department. It was here I learnt about Telefusions production of the Telpro Colour TV which, as said, was setup due to a chronic shortage of colour receiver production capacity in the early 70's. They where manufactured with Decca's full backing originally for the rental market then sold via Telefusions Trident outlets. I always liked the Telpro's, like the Bradford's too but the Telpro was a much neater design.

Adrian
Old 1st Jun 2019, 9:02 pm   #26
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I never came across the Telpro but enjoyed servicing all Decca sets which I thought were well designed chassis for servicing.
10/30 Bradfords, nice straightforward design and simple to repair.
80/88/100 chassis excellent sets for repairs and good performance. The 90 degree 80 chassis had probably the simplest line output stage ever.
The Tatung 120 chassis was also good but I preferred the less common 70/90/110 chassis which had a mains isolated chassis.

Regards,
Symon
Closed Thread