UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2017, 5:45 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Marconi DEV Type valves

Folks, I've been asked to test 6 Marconi DEV type clip held valves. Am I correct in assuming that, say, a D.E.V.368 has a 3V Filament & a Va of 68V ? There is also a D.E.Q.209D. Some have missing or unreadable numbering.
I've been told that they are as rare as rocking horse manure, so need to be jolly sure that I'm applying the correct voltages. I ken that the end caps are the filament & the green side cap is the anode. Any info &/or advice most welcome, please.
I've downloaded some basic info off the internet, but any detailed valve testing info would be most appreciated.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi DEV Valves.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	149903  
Old 24th Sep 2017, 8:28 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi DEV Type valves

I don't know if you've come across this, it's from WW, 30th April 1924...magazine page 138 (scroll down it's near the bottom)

"Valve Tests. The Marconi-Osram DEV and DEQ"....some curves etc are shown:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...4-04-S-OCR.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 9:20 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Rocking horse manure? It looks like you've got the whole muck-heap there!
Lucky chap.

Andy
Old 25th Sep 2017, 12:29 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Hi David,
You might consider getting hold of a copy of "The Saga of Marconi Osram Valve" by Barry Vyse and George Jessop (you can buy it from Barry Vyse at Vyse Ltd.) There is some historical information on these valves, but I can't see any detail that might answer your questions, other than that they seem to be dull emitters. Lawrence's reference gives some more useful info.

Andy, David isn't as lucky as you might think, as he has said he's been asked to test these valves, not that they're his property.
Colin.
Old 25th Sep 2017, 2:57 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

I've managed to get some decent gen(mu, ra, & gm) off museum sites, and Lawrence's site has given me great gen on testing - including graphs.
So far, by heavy breathing & a magnifying lamp, I've managed to read off the following faded numbering :-
(a) D.E.V.398, (b) D.E.V.365, (c) D.E.Q.200D, (d) D.E.V. E??, (e) & (f) = D.E.V. 's.
The AWA Radio Guide "Marconi" info says Filament = 3V at 0.2A, and max Va = 60V for the DEV's & DEQ's. And the "Victoria Collections" site confirms the same filament supply. Lawrence's 1924 site info says filament is 2.75V/0.2A, & their working graph Va voltages are 20 & 40V.

Regards, David
Old 25th Sep 2017, 9:09 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

Seems a little crazy testing these. If the filaments are intact then I would call that a good one!

These are bright emitters and were used with rheostats to adjust the voltage until you get the correct brightness and/or anode current flow. You can't just apply the recommended filament voltage as with dull emitter valves. However, I would guess that any air that has entered in the past 100 years is likely to cause the filament to fail pretty quickly.

I suppose you could have a go with one and wind the filament voltage up gently and see if it shows any signs of behaving like a valve.

Last edited by PJL; 25th Sep 2017 at 9:16 pm.
Old 26th Sep 2017, 10:38 am   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough PJL, these valves are nigh on 100 years old. They belong to a local chum & very keen 1920's radio restorer, and BVWS member. If they work they'll actually be fitted into one of his current projects. I've already tested five B4 bulbous triodes of a similar age for him, & they passed with flying colours.
For special valve testing purposes, I have a modern 3 channel digital DC PSU, which can control current down to 10's of mA's. Obviously, with these rare DEV's I'll apply a filament supply very gradually.
First though, I'm going to build a bespoke valve holder rig for these horizontally mounted clipped wee valves.

Regards, David
Old 26th Sep 2017, 2:10 pm   #8
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
The original valves of this type were the Type V24 and the Type Q. These were both true bright emitters with 5V filaments. (5V filaments would run off a 6V accumulator with a filament rheostat so could be overrun if you needed it.) They came out circa 1916.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_v24.html
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_q_marconi.html
The DEV and DEQ valves were, as the initial letter might suggest, the dull emitter versions of the V24 and the Q. These had thoriated tungsten filaments so they would run at a bright orange rather than the almost white of a true bright emitter. (They are not oxide coated filaments so they are still bright by modern standards) These had 3V filaments and came out circa 1923.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_dev.html
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_deq.html
Yours, Richard
Old 26th Oct 2017, 8:58 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

At last, have managed to get round to building a valve holder for these delicate ancient valves. I'll get the component parts wired together this weekend, then very carefully start testing valves.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEV Holder (a).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	151459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (b).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	151460  
Old 28th Oct 2017, 8:45 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Plan B initiated :- Replaced side clips for Anode & Grid with Brass spring loaded contacts. Possibility of clips damaging side caps.
This is going to be a slow careful series of tests on all 6 valves.
Have firstly chosen DEV valve no 6 which has missing lettering. For recommended Vf it gives spot-on 0.2A at 3V. More tests to follow.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEV Holder (c).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	151542   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (d).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	151543   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (e).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	151544   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (f).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	151545  
Old 29th Oct 2017, 6:23 pm   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

have finally done a Gm Graph for my DEV Valve No6, & compared it with an article titled "Valve Tests" on page 138 of the "Wireless World" dated April 30, 1924. Their valve was just called a "DEV". The 6 I have to test for a BVWS chum have a mixture of worn/missing lettering or numbering.
Using my DC lash-up involves a lot of fannying about. Next - find an old B4 from a duff valvebase & wire it with flyleads so that my wee DEV rig can be connected to my AVO Mk3.

Regards, David

PS. Has anyone out there used or tested DEV valves ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEV Holder (g).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	151577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (h).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	151578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (i).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	151579   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (j).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	151580  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DEV Valve No6 - Gm.pdf (427.3 KB, 79 views)
Closed Thread