UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:54 pm   #1
DanSaxton
Triode

Default Garrard GT-35P-1 cartridge

Hi folks,

I need to get a new cartridge for my Garrard GT-35P-1.

I know nothing about these things - what should I get?
Also - is it worth replacing the whole head or not?

Oh, and I also should get some oil - there seems to be lots on ebay, anything I should get / avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 11:18 pm   #2
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Default Re: Garrard GT-35P-1 cartridge

Is there anything in there now? If not or you want a change, have a look on Vinyl Engine - https://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/gt35p.shtml - you'll need to register to download the instruction and service manuals.

These tonearms could supposedly track down to 1g or less, so if yours is still ok, that keeps the choice of *modern* cartridges pretty wide open as most now track securely at 1.5g and over. The existing headshell should be fine I think unless you particularly wish to change it.

The kind of new cartridges (not as many now, but here goes) I know and could recommend without spending silly money start with -

Rega Carbon - posh AT91 with good solid basic sound
AT95E - Evergreen favourite cheapie with basic elliptical tip
Shure 97XE - I mention this one ad nauseum but it's safe, secure and a bargain at present, roughly where the vintage M75-ED would be now
Goldring E3 - AT based but posh body moulding and hand tweaked styli which is elliptical in this one - I've not used one yet but have high hopes for it..
Ortofon 2M Red - should be perfect here and styli should be available for decades yet. Cheaper OM10 and OM5 are fine but a bit 'raw' toned...

Nagaoka and Grado - Opinion is skewed on the Nagaoka's as they used to be beer budget, but no longer. Grado's not stable enough I think and I don't like the overall dullness - but I'm a neutral analogue and digital fan, so don't let that necessarily put anyone off...

Dave
Old 29th Aug 2017, 10:07 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

What is wrong with the existng cartridge - it may need just a stylus change?
You make mention of a new "Head". I assume you mean a new Headshell - no, you do not need to replace this. If you feel you need to oil your deck use sewing machine oil. Do not use anything like WD40!
Old 29th Aug 2017, 12:48 pm   #4
DanSaxton
Triode

thanks Dave, that's really useful.

I'm just starting out with turntables (although old enough to have a budget one when i was a kid) so i have no clue on the technical side of things.

I was given this Garrard GT35P-1 and it looks in pretty good shape, although is does seem to speed up and down during playback.

looks like the Ortofon 2M Red might be the best option initially?

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 29th Aug 2017, 12:54 pm   #5
DanSaxton
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
What is wrong with the existng cartridge - it may need just a stylus change?
Thanks Edward.
I'm not of the quality (or make) of the existing cartridge, but yes, it could just take a stylus change i guess.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 2:20 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Can you post a photo of the extant cartridge or advise any type numbers on it like G800 or M75.....?
Old 29th Aug 2017, 2:48 pm   #7
DanSaxton
Triode

Sure - there's no markings or numbers as far as i can tell...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170829_143948.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	148589  
Old 29th Aug 2017, 6:24 pm   #8
D_S_J_R
Heptode

EASY - Just buy an Audio Technica ATN 95E stylus (green), or the equally red ATN 95EX which is 'supposed' to be slightly better, slide it in from underneath, balance the arm and set tracking to 1.8 to 2g and off you go

Dave
Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:40 pm   #9
DanSaxton
Triode

Thanks gents.

I also get some speed variation on playback. I've replaced the belt, but not oiled anything yet. I've heard it could be capacitors, what's your view?
Old 31st Aug 2017, 5:40 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Capacitors have no connection with speed variation. What does speed variation mean - does it run slow or fast or sound wavery?
Old 31st Aug 2017, 10:03 pm   #11
DanSaxton
Triode

wavery i guess - speeds up and slows down - i can't get the red dots to stay still
Old 1st Sep 2017, 1:28 am   #12
unitaudio
Heptode

Try cleaning the pitch control with switch cleaner. Get some Servisol switch cleaner from Maplin's and spray a bit into the control where the wires go into it. Turn the control backwards and forwards a few times and see if the speed stability is any better. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Paul
Old 1st Sep 2017, 4:50 am   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Capacitors have no connection with speed variation. What does speed variation mean - does it run slow or fast or sound wavery?
I am the last person to change capacitors at random, and I agree they are unlikely to be to blame for the (now descibed) fault of random fluctations. But this is an electronically-controller turntable, and I would be very surprised if the speed was not affected by any of the capacitors around the speed control IC.
Old 2nd Sep 2017, 6:48 am   #14
GP49000
Hexode

YES, CAPACITORS CAN CAUSE SPEED PROBLEMS ON THESE TURNTABLES!

The speed governor circuit in the Garrard GT-35 and GT-55 units, built to a Matsushita design (Matsushita also sourced the DC motors in these decks) are vulnerable to speed variations...from subtle to intolerable...due to aging in the electrolytic capacitors on the governor circuit board. It was not only Garrards that were susceptible...Matsushita's own Panasonic and Technics models were affected similarly, as were several other brands which used the Matsushita design under license.

I have repaired many of these, Garrard, Technics and Kyocera, by replacing all the electrolytic capacitors on the board, except for the large power supply reservoir/smoothing capacitor. I have not ever done them one-by-one to find the culprit; the capacitors are cheap, anyway. Many of the turntables I got for free or for a very nominal charge. Cleaning the speed control potentiometers and replacing the belt are good ideas, too; but if it exhibits unstable or varying speed during playback, replace all the electrolytic capacitors.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 12:43 pm   #15
DanSaxton
Triode

Not sure if I should add to this post or create a new one, but here's an update...

I've not replaced the capacitors yet I have new ones ready, but not got round to replacing).

I'm not getting any speed up and slowing down of sound now (I've oiled the spindle and sprayed switch lubricant on the various switches), however, I have the following two problems now:-

1. If anyone walks near the table that the turntable is on I get low (but loud) rumble.
2. Even when the unit it 'off', but connected there's a bit of popping going on, there's a loud pop when the turntable is switched on / off.

Many thanks,

Dan
Old 8th Sep 2017, 3:08 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You will get Rumble because the turntable plinth is not sufficiently isolated from the floor. Regarding the POP, you may also need a swich click supressor capacitor on the motor, but I really would not worry about it at all as many decks do this.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 3:54 pm   #17
DanSaxton
Triode

thanks Edward - ok, so silly question...how do i isolate the plinth from the floor?

also - i get the popping on switch on and off, but it just pops away when nothing is happening too??

thanks
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:36 pm   #18
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There's no short answer to the issue of record deck picking up extraneous interference in the room. It's all to do with the solidity of what it's sited on, whether the sub chassis and/or tone arm are suspended or not. You can't just place a turntable anywhere. Try other positions. Some chose to use a foam rubber mat for example, but it will need to be high density type. All part of the Alchemy of HiFi!!
Old 9th Sep 2017, 8:49 am   #19
lazythread
Pentode

I suggest you replace the capacitors to see if this resolves the popping. As you say that it happens whether the turntable is running or not, it may not be the turntable that's the issue. I'd also leave the question of isolation alone until you've cured the popping issue - sort one problem at a time. Let us know how you get on.
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 5:44 pm   #20
DanSaxton
Triode

ok, here's an update...

replaced all the capacitors (not the big one)...also replaced the audio cable (the old one was a bit corroded) and a new power lead (just because i want a black one).

now i get much less popping but also these things....
  • a constant low hum, even without the table turning.
  • the control for the strobe for 33½ is on the limit and doesn't quite slow the dots down (it was fine before)

any help appreciated.

Dan
Closed Thread