UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 3rd Apr 2014, 6:53 am   #1141
giulio.coslo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Hello.

I have some questions.

The first is for Frank.C:In your realization which size of meters did you use? Like the manual for gm, anode mA and Grid V (so 200mVAC, 200mVDC and 200VDC) for the heater voltage you used 200VAC (or less?), 500VDC for anode and screen voltage. Correct?

The second question is for everyone who can answer:

On the Giorgio11 eBay shop page there aren't anymore the 200mVAC LCD meters. Has someone another place where I can buy them?

Thanks to everyone.
giulio.coslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 3:34 pm   #1142
KeithsTV
Nonode

Manual progress update.

I have completed the manual and it is now out for checking. No matter how many times you read and re-read it there's always one more error.

Once the checking has been completed I'll release it to the forum. I hope that will be early May.

If anyone is going to Golborne this weekend and would like a preview of the draft manual I'll have a copy with me. I'll have my avatar badge on so shouldn't be too difficult to spot.

Keith
KeithsTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 4:35 pm   #1143
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio.coslo View Post
Hello.

On the Giorgio11 eBay shop page there aren't anymore the 200mVAC LCD meters. Has someone another place where I can buy them?

Thanks to everyone.
Just do a search on ebay for 200mV AC blue meters, there are several Chinese vendors.

Richard
mole42uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 4:43 pm   #1144
FRANK.C
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio.coslo View Post
Hello.

The first is for Frank.C:In your realization which size of meters did you use? Like the manual for gm, anode mA and Grid V (so 200mVAC, 200mVDC and 200VDC) for the heater voltage you used 200VAC (or less?), 500VDC for anode and screen voltage. Correct?
Yes you are correct 200VAC for heaters and 500VDC for Anode and Screen voltages, the other meters were as in the original.

Frank
FRANK.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 10:53 pm   #1145
KeithsTV
Nonode

Latest update on the manual.

A couple of forum members have proof read it so I'll be giving it a final check before releasing it. It's in pdf form but it exceeds the forum file size so I'll split into several parts before posting it.

I'm going to NVCF on Sunday and will have a copy with me so if anyone wants a preview I'll be there between about 10:30 and 2pm wearing my avatar badge.

Keith
Old 9th May 2014, 7:38 am   #1146
crackle
Rest in Peace

Can't an exception be made for the file size of this manual, rather than splitting it.
Mike
crackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 8:16 am   #1147
KeithsTV
Nonode

I have tried to reduce the size by compressing the pictures but it's still over the 1.9MB limit.

Perhaps a mod would like to comment on whether it is possible to post the file, it's about 4MB, as a single file rather than as 4 parts.

Keith
Old 9th May 2014, 9:37 am   #1148
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If you can send me the manual by email or Dropbox I will upload it and post a link. This project does deserve an exception.

I'll PM you my email address.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 10:13 am   #1149
KeithsTV
Nonode

Thanks Paul

Keith
Old 13th May 2014, 8:49 pm   #1150
KeithsTV
Nonode

I've just sent the full manual to Paul along with some notes on printing it out.

No matter how many times you check it or get others to check it there's always one more error as I found out this evening just as I was ready to send it.

Should there be any further errors, modifications or updates to the circuit let me know and I'll produce a second edition at a later date.

To whet your appetite here are a couple of pictures of the finished manual.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sussex Manual1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	92908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sussex Manual2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	92909  
Old 13th May 2014, 8:51 pm   #1151
crackle
Rest in Peace

Excellent, looking forward to downloading it.

Thanks
Mike
crackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 8:03 am   #1152
Dekatron
Octode

Proof reading a document and commenting on it will always be under the influence of Muphry's law : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law
Old 14th May 2014, 12:04 pm   #1153
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I stood next to Keith in the queue at the NVCF on Sunday and had the privilege of having a quick read through the handbook that he's put together. A real labour of love on Keith's part - countless hours of work involved - very comprehensive, neatly laid out with several fold-out pages. It doesn't just cover the 'Sussex' but includes additional well illustrated information by Keith on valve theory. I'm sure that it will not only prove to be an invaluable reference document for builders and users of the 'Sussex' but will be of general interest to many others.

Also, it's a very fitting tribute to the late Mike Rowe [AKA 'Swordholder'] who - back in December 2009 when he posted details of his homebrew valve-tester - could never have imagined the interest that it would generate, with almost 1,200 posts to the thread to date and almost 212,000 views. I doubt we'll ever know how many constructors have embarked on building a 'Sussex' and I dare say that many more have been started than have been finished, but Keith's comprehensive booklet might just be the catalyst to spur on the completion of those part-built units which are 'work in progress'!
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 12:41 pm   #1154
KeithsTV
Nonode

Flattery will get you anywhere David It's taken about 5 months to put together, mainly at lunchtimes at work plus a lot of hours were spent on producing the valve plots used in the valve theory section. It would probably have taken less time if I hadn't had a few interruptions such as decorating a bedroom, sorting out cars for kids and about two weeks off work due to a bout of food poisoning.

I'm sure there will be corrections needed but I'll wait a few months before releasing any updates. That will give me time to prepare the November Golborne talk and help my brother refit our bathrooms.

I'd like to thank all of those people who have contributed in one way or another to the manual project and look forward to seeing more reports of completed Sussex testers in the near future.

Keith
Old 14th May 2014, 2:09 pm   #1155
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The complete manual is here https://www.vintage-radio.net/attach.../sussex-v1.zip - size 4MB.

The ZIP file includes a second document with details on how to print the manual.

I have added the above link to post #1. Does this supersede the other links we have added to that post?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 3:24 pm   #1156
KeithsTV
Nonode

Effectively it does as the manual contains all of the information in those links.

Keith
Old 8th Jun 2014, 7:23 am   #1157
G4YVM David
Heptode

This is a fabulous piece of kit. I haven't built one yet but I shall; but regardless of that its a F.A.B bit of homebrew. Well done.
D
G4YVM David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2014, 8:32 am   #1158
Radio Wrangler

For a long time I've said that Heathkits have always had the very best construction manuals of all kits.

I'm going to have to revise that statement, now.

David
Old 1st Aug 2014, 6:58 pm   #1159
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I was recently approached by a forum member to build a "beefed up" transformer to allow testing and soaking of high power valves with the Sussex.
This tester has been completed and is operating successfully, but the transformer is pretty massive!

Ed
Ed_Dinning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2014, 8:31 pm   #1160
Radio Wrangler

And so it should be! After all it has to power the biggest valve that will ever be plugged into it, and take it to the top of its characteristic: max voltage or max current or max wattage for the valve. Remembering that the power dissipated in the tester isn't the same as that in the valve.

I see it that the AVOs are underweight. Once you get above a modest power valve, all the VCMs cease to be characteristic meters and function as mere testers.

David