UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2018, 5:25 pm   #1
Bigmike1958
Tetrode

Default Baird TV model 8750

I was just wondering if there's a Baird TV Model 8750 still working out there, they where a Radio Rentals TV back in the 70's colour sets.

If anyone knows of this TV let me know.

Thanks, big mike.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 8:07 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Baird tv 8750

Was it the the Thorn 8000 or the 8500, not saying it was either but I don't think it was a 3500. I used to do Saturdays for them repairing boards the field engineers had pulled from customer's sets.
Old 25th Jun 2018, 9:37 pm   #3
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Baird TV model 8750

The Baird 8750 was actually a Körting 53633 imported during the colour boom.

You can see a picture of one here.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/radio-rentals/
Old 26th Jun 2018, 9:15 am   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I saw lots of these Hybrid colour TV's whilst I was working at Radio Rentals.
Very nice sets to work on and uses straightforward hybrid technology.
It only uses 3 valves PL509 Line Output, PY500A boost diode and PCF802 line oscillator valve the rest of the set is transistorised. They also uses CDA output rather than RGB.

The first thing you did when you took the back off was glance down at the sub panel where the on/off switch was located. If the 1uf mains filter cap was yellow you changed it out for a grey or white replacement which was rated at 250v AC, the original yellow cap was only rated at 220v AC and use to go up in flames burning the set out and sometimes taking the customers house with it.
Old 26th Jun 2018, 12:18 pm   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Oh the Korting, I used to buy these from a tv place up Leeds Road at the roundabout, very reliable and good sound quality. I used to put them in pubs in Huddersfield, got good money for them. Fit and forget, very popular.

Last edited by AC/HL; 26th Jun 2018 at 8:45 pm. Reason: OT aside edited
Old 26th Jun 2018, 9:35 pm   #6
jayceebee
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
It only uses 3 valves PL509 Line Output, PY500A boost diode and PCF802 line oscillator valve the rest of the set is transistorised.
Never seen one in the flesh but I was led to believe it was similar to the ITT CVC5 in using a PCL805 in the field stage?
Old 27th Jun 2018, 12:45 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes it did have a PCL805 with a similar lifespan to the one fitted to the CVC5 - i.e. very good. The only trouble with the Korting (besides the short-lived Sylvania CRTs) was the big thermistor in the heater chain - the valves lasted forever, but a slightly slow PL could mean a three minute warm-up time. The Baird set had a much cleaner front panel than the Korting, as it was only a UHF set, and I believe a different thermistor was used to shorten the warm-up time.
They both had a big cheese-grater back cover so you could see whether the valves were lit before taking it off!
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:18 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
Oh the Korting, I used to buy these from a tv place up Leeds Road at the roundabout, very reliable and good sound quality. I used to put them in pubs in Huddersfield, got good money for them. Fit and forget, very popular.
We might have met, Tony - I used to do the same thing in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Quote:
It only uses 3 valves PL509 Line Output, PY500A boost diode and PCF802 line oscillator valve the rest of the set is transistorised.
Never seen one in the flesh but I was led to believe it was similar to the ITT CVC5 in using a PCL805 in the field stage?
Yes, it did. They were excellent sets and very reliable. Easy to repair as the PCB's could be fitted on the back of the main board for servicing.
The unusual decoder baffled many field engineers.
The excellent picture was partly due to having an emitter follower for luminance, fitted on the CRT base panel.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 10:38 am   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

I found them to be reliable as others have said .
I changed a Fair few triplers though the original large blue type that was originally fitted was prone to arcing to the chassis. Someone made a replacement that was a universal tripler mounted on a long plastic bracket to fit the original mounting holes.
The massive 26" hybrid Saba also used Sylvania tubes that looked a bit poor after 6 or so years but by resetting the beam limiter, replacing the line output valve and tweaking up the greyscale they could be made to give acceptable pictures again for a few years.
I remember scrapping the Sabas and Kortings when they came in ex rental in the mid 1980's. We decided not to re-rent any hybrid sets around 1983/4 most of them were too old and or big to sell off second-hand so they went straight in the skip. The exception being the later Decca 30s and the ITT CVC9 series they usually found a home as a cheapie.

Happy days!
Old 28th Jun 2018, 4:11 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

One thing about the Saba and the Korting hybrids is that their decoders were unusual as Mike says. I came across many that had been twiddled all over the place but still produced acceptable colour pictures! The Saba 26"had the edge over the Korting in sheer weight and bulk, but they were both 'fit and forget' TVs. I think the Korting used the A67-120X CRT.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 9:44 am   #11
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
Quote:
Oops memory playing tricks again. Yes these did use a PCL805, its strange though I can only remember 3 valves in these. Did they use a transistorised line oscillator line driver circuit?
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 1:35 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Not sure, but I think there was a PCF802 hidden down in the depths.
Closed Thread