UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2012, 5:02 pm   #1
andifall
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig TK-121 rewinds, fast forwards but only one reel 'plays'.

Hi,

I have just purchased a Grundig TK-121. It's pretty beautiful. Everything seems to be working perfectly until I play the thing. Rewind and FF work well (so both reels are moving fine) but when I press play the left reel winds but the right reel sits there (and thus reel goes everywhere).

I've opened it up to have a look. Everything looks fine, but when it's on the 'play' position, the black wheel does not connect with the right reel to move it. I'm not sure on how to fix this.

If anyone could give me some advice that would be grand. I'm sorry for the poor use of terminology.
Old 30th Sep 2012, 8:53 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK-121 rewinds, fast forwards but only one reel 'plays'.

Picture here. There are three drive belts, my guess is the one for the take up reel has snapped or gone hard. Open it up and check.
Old 30th Sep 2012, 9:06 pm   #3
andifall
Retired Dormant Member

Ah, you are right. I had it opened up but I didn't notice. I see one main belt, I guess the drive belt, one that has broken that I have just taken out and one I can't see.

Two questions:

1. Do you know where to buy replacement belts for the UK.

2. Are there instructions for fitting the replacement belts anywhere online?

I have seen an eBay seller selling replacement belts + instructions, but is asking a fair whack for three pieces of rubber and a piece of paper.

Thank you.
Old 30th Sep 2012, 9:51 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

His instruction books are comprehensive and invaluable. I dont know about your machine but some of them, if dismantled in a certain way, the mechanism falls apart like a pack of cards and renders the machine useless.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 30th Sep 2012, 9:58 pm   #5
andifall
Retired Dormant Member

Ah, you see, I read that and thought it might have been hyperbole to make those lesser in the know, like myself, purchase. In that case, I might purchase the instructions etc. I am just strapped for cash and thought I could do it on a budget!

Thanks for your help.
Old 30th Sep 2012, 10:45 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I would echo what Michael says about the aforementioned eBay sellers belt kits.

Whilst I have no association with him, I have purchased at least two of his kits in the past and, although having quite a bit of personal electronics/electromechanical experience, have found them invaluable.

The "Piece of paper" that you mention is a quality printed and bound repair manual which contains a number of pages containing a wealth of information.

Regards

Andrew
Old 30th Sep 2012, 11:00 pm   #7
reelguy
Heptode

I have bought belt kits from "Big Dave" from time to time.
The fitting instructions are clear as are the helpful tips and pics in the manual.
Recommended.
Peter W.....Reelguy.
No connection with BD.
Old 1st Oct 2012, 8:33 am   #8
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Andifall, if you just need the odd belt ie. the take up belt for your machine contact me.

Colin.
Old 9th Jan 2015, 9:11 am   #9
Ray Barber
Retired Dormant Member

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but can anyone tell me if "Big Dave" is still around please? I'm looking for replacement belts for a TK121 and the only ones I can see are Ebay are from Germany. I've also looked for a service manual but they all seem to be in German as well.
Old 17th Aug 2015, 11:05 am   #10
KitFletcher
Retired Dormant Member

Hello everyone, sorry for resurrecting an old thread again but I'm hoping you can help me

I have exactly the same problem with my TK 121 and opened up its bottom to find a snapped belt too but I'm just wondering whether there is a way to gain access to where the belt has come from because they all seem to be underneath a metal frame.

Thanks very much
Old 17th Aug 2015, 3:57 pm   #11
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to replace belts from the top, they are intended to be replaced via the lower flywheel bearing, which for obvious reasons has to be removed to allow the belt/s to be inserted. I may have a few belts left for this range, will check.

Colin.
Old 19th Aug 2015, 6:59 pm   #12
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Barber View Post
...... can anyone tell me if "Big Dave" is still around......
Hi,
I haven't seen anything listed on eBay by Big Dave for a while, but he did have a profile on this forum although I can't recall whether his name was the same on here as on eBay.

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread