UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2004, 11:27 am   #1
bryans900

Default Vortexion reel to reel Series W.V.B. 5+6

Hi I own a beautiful Vortexion (as above!) The machine didn't come with a mike! I've tried an external recording source-perfect! But using a (600) mike -with a microphone transformer, BUT wont record. I'm trying to locate a low (30ohm) impedance mike!- no luck!
What mike would have been used originally? (type)?
Also I'm following instructions to the letter (setting bias etc) Any help gratefully received...Bryan

Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:06 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Vortexion reel to reel Series W.V.B. 5+6

Bryan,
I'm not familiar with this machine but until someone who is comes along my best suggestion is a fault in the mic pre-amplifier, socket or cables. I would have thought you should get something, perhaps low or distorted, from any working microphone.
Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:14 pm   #3
bryans900

Thankyou H/L there is a playback distotted noise, but NOT a proper recording; the meter will go from 0 to maximum indicating an overload of some sort, even if the mike is nowhere near the tape recorder, strange it does a perfect line recording from a record player.

Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:17 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I also don't know this machine, but most consumer valve era tape recorders used a high impedence crystal microphone - a low impedence mike won't work well. This doesn't apply to pro kit of course.

You should be able to feed a (suitably attenuated) line signal into the mike socket.

HTH, Paul
Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:18 pm   #5
AC/HL
Dekatron

Sounds like it's being overloaded and you could be right about the low impedance mic. Is it any better without the transformer ?
Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:29 pm   #6
bryans900

Hi I tried a reslo transformer to no avail, so am not really sure what mic to use! Manual is referring to a mic of 30 ohms! (is this therefore low impedance?)...

Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:44 pm   #7
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

30 ohms is about right for a Reslo ribbon mike without the transfromer, and yes, it is low impedance.

Jim.
Old 31st Oct 2004, 4:54 pm   #8
bryans900

Thanks Jim for info I dont have an original microphone.
Using a 'dynamic' mike (600 imp) with/without Reslo transformer, but alas, still ineffective!
I'll have to try and access a low impedance one. Bryan.

Old 31st Oct 2004, 8:15 pm   #9
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Bryan,

the Reslo's do turn up on eBay, but seem to fetach silly prices!

Jim.
Old 31st Oct 2004, 8:30 pm   #10
bryans900

Yes they do! (for what they are...)
A Southern reel to reel enthusiast is selling me an orig mic. Best for now-Bryan.

Old 31st Oct 2004, 11:57 pm   #11
bryans900

Tried some " echo " on the Vortexion last night! sensational results; an old 45 0f Mike Sarne " Will I What? " recorded direct from record player to high speed recording-then slowed down to next speed! etheral voices on the vocals!! e-e-r-i-e but fascinating-secret in carefully reducing the bias on re-recording.
Incidentally has anyone EVER seen a STEREO CBL 6 Vortexion?
Bryan.

Old 1st Nov 2004, 6:09 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, If you are looking for effects on tape recorders, as Bryans says, you need to vary the bias. If you can get hold of a Radivet test set (see an earlier thead) , these allow you to record and observe the playback wave form at various speeds and bias settings. A very useful bit of kit to characterise your recorder.

Ed
Old 7th Jan 2005, 9:14 am   #13
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Hello, I own a CBL6 recorder along with many mono ones, I noticed your having mic problems? tell me when you play back, is the output very loud and sharp as I had a similar problem with a loos wire causing the tone not to work, does the meter move when you record from the Mic?
Closed Thread