UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2005, 5:46 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Tandberg 64 Servicing

Hi. Just looking inside the Tandberg I bought from Ed Dinning, mainly because it developed noise on the left channel - a cap breaking down I think. A kind of bubbing, not crackling.

I was just wondering the likeihood of different caps being the problem:

1. The Hunts Moldseals (world domination on crap caps, or what!) - seem to all be 150v or 600v types, but I guess up to their usual standard of excellence.

2. Siemens electolytics - these are in tall thin metal cans, about 14mm in diameter, 50mm in height. They are all 16uF, 350v types.

3. Small metal cased caps with a plastic sheath at the bottom, 25uF.

4. Little gold-foil covered caps, 400v, 0.022uF/0.047uF-ish values, made by miniprint. Never seen these before. Guess they must be continental ones.

I guess the Hunts are the most likley culprits, but are the other ones reliable?

Non-electrical question now. What do people recommend I use for the bearings? Grease or Oil?

Sam
Old 7th Feb 2005, 6:04 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 64 Servicing

Hi Sam, all small caps can be rubbish, see the thread on crap caps. The finger test often works ~ with set off after it has been running and one hand in pocket, gently feel resistors in series with caps for heat. The modern version is to borrow an IR camera and look at them for heating.
Fault finding like this can be a pain on low level circuitts where the cap going down does little other than cause noise or remove the signal. A scope is often the best tool here, couldpled with a knitting needle to poke the offending items.
On lubrication, see what the manual says. Grease may be too thick for some bearings and will cause the recorder to run slow. SMALL amounts of 3in1 will do no harm. If sintered bronze bushes are used these were usually impregnated for life. After 40 years they will benefit from being stood in warm 3in1 for a week or so then drained.
HTH, Ed
Closed Thread