UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2015, 7:28 am   #21
JacKam_
Pentode

Default Re: Cassette azimuth adjustment

Folks, I invented that today (you can write patent application, but do not forget about me) :

A compact cassette with a loop of very thin tape inside. The length of the tape is around 10-20 cm, glued in a shape of Mobius loop. With wrong azimuth the tape would be recorded in some direction, let's say "/" , played out "\" way. Only with head position "|" technician will get maximum volume.

So we record on one side and playing back other side, I expect playback signal much weaker, but still good for measurements.

Simple ? Who wants to make one ? Use C180 or c240 tape.

Jacek
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 8:14 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

Anyone can record suitable test-tones and a swatch of music using whatever tape machine they have to hand and then call it an alignment tape... and ask any price they want for it. Make the price high enough and the 'reassuringly expensive' effect kicks in.

What separates a good one from the others is the matter of where does the confidence that it is accurate come from?

The need for accurate azimuth adjustment comes from the need to make tapes interchangeable between machines, so someone with multiple machines and swaps tapes with a group of friends all need to use the same or identical alignment tapes.

The pre-recorded cassette industry had to get it quite accurate because they wanted their product to be usable on every player on the planet, and each cassette had to be the same.

You can also try making the assumption that head manufacturers used accurate jigs and adjust azimuth by looking at the relative phasing of stereo channels with the highest frequency possible, but that again relies on the azimuth of whatever the tape was recorded on.

Finally, there are ways of viewing the effect of fields on a tape affecting magnetic dust which can be inspected under a microscope.

With large open-reel machines whose head-blocks aren't shrouded by the lower panel a scope with an accurately mounted mirror and a reticle can be used to look at the gap.

Listening to tapes only achieves matching with whatever recorded the tape.

David
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 10:52 am   #23
unitaudio
Heptode

I always use a well recorded music tape (Frank Zappa, 'Broadway the hard way') recorded on my mate's Nakamichi DR-3 deck. When I recorded the tape the machine was brand new and although that's no guarantee of accuracy, the DR-3 is as near as I can get to a benchmark and while machines set up with this tape aren't necessarily spot on, it always brings a significant improvement.

I've always suspected the majority of tape mechanisms aren't set up particularly well from the factory. A friend of mine bought a Saisho car stereo in the early 90's. I had to reset the azimuth on that, it was miles out. Serves him right for being such a skinflint!

Regards,
Paul
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 11:35 am   #24
Restoration73
Nonode

Worst were the car stereos with auto reverse - not possible to get optimum in both
directions. Later decks in mini systems with reverse had a head that rotated through
180 degrees, often better. Use a good type 2 or 4 tape if you want the best high end
or white noise. Otherwise a 8kHz tone both channels is useful if you have a dual trace
scope. The tape path should be demagnetised first.
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 4:30 pm   #25
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I seriously doubt that a cassette adapter will be of any service for azimuth adjustment. You may notice a variation in coupling as you adjust the azimuth but it will do nothing to determine whether the head gap is aligned with the 'magnetic furrows' that pass by it on tape.
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 4:41 pm   #26
mitajohn
Pentode

Hi,

Someone of you members who owns a good cassette recorder would be very helpful to record a cassette both sides with a mono signal of 8 or 10kHz and post the cassette to Hampus to adjust his machine. Why not! Is this the purpose of the forum to give help or not!
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 9:43 pm   #27
Karen O
Rest in Peace

It would be a very valuable service to the community if someone made available (at cost) reference cassettes. I don't think any of my machines are adjusted correctly and so I would take advantage of such a service. The only pre-recorded cassette I have is an Alba karaoke demo tape!

Talking of which, that Kara Oke seems to get dozens of gigs, yet she never turns up and the punters end up singing
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 10:34 pm   #28
Restoration73
Nonode

I'm sure there would be a response had this thread been in the "sets and parts wanted";
I have a BIB test tape from 1973 (by Decca) and even the Dolby B is still accurate.
There would have to be a consensus on what tests users actually want.
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 10:23 am   #29
TIMTAPE
Octode

The only time I need an azimuth alignment tape is when servicing a cassette deck for a customer which these days isnt that often.

Adjusting azimuth on a machine with a worn (grooved) head can lead to problems. At worst the tape can be damaged trying to navigate the twisted path. Better to relap or replace the head and then adjust the azimuth afresh.

The most handy tool I have in terms of azimuth adjusting I made myself. It's just an extension of the cassette machine's azimuth screw, appearing on the front panel as a small adjustable knob. It makes it easy to adjust the playback head to whatever tape I happen to be playing without having to faff around with finding the right screwdriver.

Pictured is an adjuster I made for a professional cassette deck but it could be done on consumer decks too. The tricky design bit is allowing for the movement of the head when it enters and exits the cassette. I used a small Allen wrench as the basis for the extension rod as it had a ball end. I replaced the cassette machine's adjuster screw with an Allen head screw. The Allen wrench rod and the Allen head screw become a ball and socket joint.
At the adjuster end, the rod tilts in a slightly elongated hole in a thin plate although a more sophisticated bearing could be made.

Much easier to do on reel to reel machines as the head is stationary.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tascam 122 II azimuth adj.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	112586  
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 12:18 pm   #30
sp10mk11
Octode

TimTape
good idea and I like the execution of it aswell, of course if we all had Nakamichi Dragons that do this function themselves...........where is that lottery ticket......
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 12:51 pm   #31
TIMTAPE
Octode

Thanks.

No, me neither. I've never had a Nak Dragon or the other fancy models with manual or auto azimuth. But I'm a fan or the more lowly 480/482 models which go for little these days. They have essentially the same mechanism in them as the Nak exotics with dual asymetric capstans and the pressure pad lifter.

I added an azimuth adjuster to a 480 too. I made this one really simple, without the flexible coupling. The adjuster is just an extended screw with a knob on the end. It moves up and down along with the head. But fitting it did involve some hacking away of the front panel which some purists might not appreciate!

Cheers Tim
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 1:32 pm   #32
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Cassette azimuth adjustment

Hi,
It's probably worth degaussing the heads too before aligning them. That can improve the treble on a machine that has done lots of playing back, but little recording.
Cheer, Pete.
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 4:56 pm   #33
vidjoman
Dekatron

Don't try to make the head easily adjustable if it's only a 2 head machine. It's going to wreck any recordings you make and they'll be unplayable on any other machine. Can only be done on a 3 head and only on the playback head.
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 9:24 pm   #34
TIMTAPE
Octode

That assumes new recordings will or can be made on such a machine.

A way to help safeguard valuable one off recordings from the past is to play them only on a machine incapable of recording or erasing.
The machines I have modified with a user adjustable azimuth control have also been modified not to record or erase. No chance of accidental erasure.

Cheers Tim

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 3rd Sep 2015 at 9:37 pm.
Closed Thread