UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2015, 4:18 am   #1
ct92404
Pentode

Question Replacing the drive belt on Sony TC-135 tape recorder

Hi, I just joined this website. Although I'm actually in the United States. When I was searching on Google for information, I kept finding results from this site, so I'm really hoping someone here can help.

I just bought an antique Sony TC-135 reel-to-reel tape recorder at a thrift shop. It's in mostly good condition. It has a few issues though. It powers up, and the motor runs smoothly. There was still an old tape inside, and I was even able to get it play for a while. But there's a drive belt that is really worn out. It's the larger belt that goes from the motor to the flywheel. The belt keeps slipping off the motor. I was wondering, does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement belt? If I could find a large rubber band, could that work? I've heard of people using rubber bands as a drive belt on old tape players, record players, etc. Also, if anyone knows how to actually take the old belt off, that would be a HUGE help! I have no idea how to get the belt off. I tried yesterday, but it seems like you have to take off a lot of parts to get to it, and I quickly realized I didn't know what I was doing and I was going to get in over my head. Fortunately, I was able to put everything back together. There has to be an easier way.

I really hope I can get this tape recorder working. I've always been fascinated with antique electrical and mechanical things. I've been wanting one of these old reel-to-reel tape recorders since I was a kid. It's amazing to see something working that was made before I was even born.

- Chris
Old 5th Sep 2015, 1:12 pm   #2
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: Replacing the drive belt on Sony TC-135 tape recorder

By the way, here is a quick snapshot of the tape recorder. Sorry about the bad quality, it's just a picture from my cell phone. The tape recorder is missing the small cover piece that goes on the heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC-135.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	112655  
Old 5th Sep 2015, 3:04 pm   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

There is a guy in the USA who sells belt kits for loads of machines plus styli etc, it is called Vintage Electronics he is very helpful and knows his stuff.

Try him for a belt kit

Gary
Old 6th Sep 2015, 4:04 am   #4
ct92404
Pentode

Well, I just contacted him and he had some suggestions on measuring the belt, and said that I could send my old one to match it...but I still don't know how to take it off! He didn't seem to have much information about my tape recorder specifically. I have no idea how to take the belt off.
Old 6th Sep 2015, 9:09 am   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

Don't think it was ever sold in the UK so I don't think anyone will have changed the belt over here. The TC135 number was used in the UK on a cassette deck.
There is a video online that shows your reel to reel and it looks like there are 4 or 5 screws that release the top plate and it would then lift off. It may only need lifting enough to slip the belt under the bottom of the flywheel and lower bearing. Most of these early Japanese machines were very simple in construction.
Old 6th Sep 2015, 9:23 am   #6
ct92404
Pentode

I probably saw the same video you mentioned, on YouTube, and he explains a lot about the tape recorder, and even shows some of the mechanism inside. But not how to change the belt! It's very easy and simple to take off the top cover, like you said it's just a few screws. And at first I thought the belt would be simple to slip off, but it's not. I tried taking off the mechanical assembly that has the flywheel and tape heads...I got it partway off, but then it seemed like the wires that go to the heads are in the way! I know there is no way you should have to mess with those wires just to take off the belt...there has to be an easier way, but I just can't figure it out. I'm really afraid to mess with thing anymore until I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I was lucky enough to get it back together the last time.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 12:18 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Take a few interior photos of the area in question. Without them, we're working blind!

As for belts, measuring the old one is usually an exercise in futility as they stretch, so you won't get anything except the roughest idea. Try threading a piece of string around the path, cut it when it overlaps and use that as a guide. VCR belt kits may also be of use.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 1:22 am   #8
ct92404
Pentode

Well, I finally managed to take off the belt! It turned out it wasn't as hard as I thought, I was just trying to take it off the wrong way. The flywheel and heads are all on one assembly that has just 4 screws. The problem was that I was trying to take the belt off by passing it UNDER the assembly, which is impossible because of the wires connected to the heads. But once I took the assembly off, I was able to pull the belt off over the top...I had to kind of work it off once piece near the flywheel, but now that I've taken the belt off and put it on a couple of times, it's fairly easy to do. I'll attach a couple of pictures.

I'm thinking I should probably make a video or something about this, because for some reason there is very little information about this particular tape recorder, even on websites about vintage electronics. I've only seen that one YouTube video, which is great for showing how the tape recorder works, but he doesn't explain how to do any kind of repairs.

I'm going to send the old belt to the guy at Vintage Electronics, which Gary mentioned. I already emailed him, and he said he should have a replacement that will work. So hopefully soon, I'll have this old tape recorder working again!

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll post an update when I manage to fix it.

- Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC-135 tape recorder.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	112714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony TC-135 tape recorder - interior.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	112715  
Old 7th Sep 2015, 2:10 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

Well done! Persistence pays off in this hobby.

Without wishing to offend, the reason why there's so little info about this recorder is that it is little more than a toy. It's about as far from hi fi as you can get, is mono, single speed half track and has a maximum spool size of (presumably) 5 inches (or less) so few people would have a use for it. A basic radio-cassette recorder would almost certainly sound better.

However, they are great fun to use and you will hopefully get drawn into the format by it. I am sure soon you'll be ready to check out some more versatile machines , with multiple speeds and tracks....who knows! There are still plenty out there for cheap.

For a belt, since it is flat, you could use part of bike inner tube. Personally I wouldn't spend much money on this unit; as I said before, they're practically worthless sadly.
Old 8th Sep 2015, 3:20 am   #10
ct92404
Pentode

Yeah, I understood that it was probably a lower-end simple tape recorder. But features aren't important to me, I was just fascinated with it because it's an antique - because of the older technology. One other interesting thing about it is that it has vacuum tubes (I guess what you guys call "valves"). I've always liked antique electronics with tubes, it's great to see them glowing and they seem to give a different sound than solid state radios, tape players, etc. I've never had one of these old reel-to-reel tape recorders before, I've just seen them in movies, etc. I had never even seen one working before. I've been wanting one since I was a kid. I remember when I was 14, I found an old one in my aunt's basement, and I was excited even then because I knew what it was and I was curious about it. She said that she didn't even remember where it came from, but it had probably just been sitting around for years. This was in 1992, so reel-to-reel tape recorders were ancient by then. I asked her if I could try to get it to work, and she said I could, and that I could have it if I wanted. Well, I tried but I couldn't even get it to power up. I tried for a few days, but since I was just a kid and I didn't know anything about electronics at the time, there was nothing I could do and I just gave up on it. But for years, I still wanted one of those old tape recorders. I always thought they looked like something out of an old detective or spy movie. I could have gotten one a long time ago on eBay or something, but I sort of lost interest until I stumbled on this one. So now, 23 years later, I finally have a reel-to-reel tape recorder! And this one works! Once I replace the belt, I think it will be fully working and it should sound pretty good. Or at least good enough for what it is. It would just be nice to restore a 47 year old machine.
Old 8th Sep 2015, 7:43 am   #11
ben
Dekatron

They certainly have character, there's nothing like watching those reels turn!

And if anything, you chose a good way to start - your sony makes a great first machine due to its relative simplicity. Too often people get in over their heads too soon by trying to revive a more complicated unit, and give up when it doesn't work out.

Now you just need to look out for tapes for it. Have you played the one you have, anything interesting there?

Enjoy your Sony!
Old 8th Sep 2015, 9:46 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yep, great fun if not HiFi.

N.
Old 8th Sep 2015, 10:09 am   #13
ct92404
Pentode

Actually, yeah I did play the tape! I was able to get the player to work for a while, before the belt kept slipping off completely. There wasn't anything really special on the tape, but I was amazed at how good the recording sounded, considering how old it was. It sounded like a lady just talking about random mundane things, like how the family had gotten new furniture and repairs they had made around the house. And the other side, it seemed like she was reading articles from a local newspaper. I think she was recording a message to send with a letter to relatives in another part of the country. That's my best guess. One thing that's interesting though is that I was actually able to figure out the exact time period when it was recorded, based on the newspaper articles. One was an article about Amtrak (the national passenger train system in the US), and the article mentioned about Amtrak being started "last year." Well, Amtrak was started in 1971, so that dates the article in 1972. Then I was even able to do a Google search for the article she was reading, and I found the date - February 9, 1972. I've never been able to nail down an exact day and year on anything antique before! I mean, a time period for when it was actually in use. Granted, the newspaper could have been a little bit old when she read it, but still I know the month and year! I just found that kind of interesting, anyway.

I was so excited when I bought the tape recorder and brought it home, I kept trying to imagine what would be on the tape. I thought about who would use a recorder like that back then...maybe a doctor or psychologist's notes, maybe a lawyer dictating about a case. But nope, it was nothing like that! Still, it was an interesting experience hearing someone's voice from 43 years ago. The recording sounded so clear that she could have made it the day before.

Now, I just have to find some more tape to play around with it! It seems like the recording mechanism works. When I turn the function switch to Play and press the record button, it presses down like it should. I'm going to mail the old belt to Vintage Electronics tomorrow. I can't wait to show this thing to my friends when I get it running. A couple of them are actually curious about antique things like this too.

Last edited by ct92404; 8th Sep 2015 at 10:17 am.
Closed Thread