UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2015, 7:08 pm   #1
Passerby
Retired Dormant Member

Default Info required on ALBA CR38. New in box

I have found this Alba CR38 in my loft, and am looking for some information.
It appears to be brand new and in 100% pristine condition, complete with box and all paperwork. The box a bit tatty.
Any info would be great, value, age etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	112479  
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 1:47 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Info required on ALBA CR38. New in box

This will doubtless need the mech cleaning and relubricating and most/all the rubber parts replacing after having stood for so long.

Its value depends a great deal on working condition. Few people want old electronics purely for decoration. You could attempt this yourself if you have some time , patience and some basic tools.

Note also that Alba was a budget brand often sold in catalogues etc. However, that unit looks quite well built compared to what came out only a few years after.

As to value, have a look on ebay and similar to see what unrestored radio/cassettes boomboxes from this period (late 70s - early 80s) sell for. Note that is not the same as what people ask for them!
Old 3rd Sep 2015, 8:20 am   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Info required on ALBA CR38. New in box

I used to have an identical model, but it was badged Binatone. I am pretty sure it dates from 1978. As ben has said, it will need some attention due to years of inactivity.
Most likely just new belts for the cassette deck, and some switchcleaner in the controls.
I think it used a couple of AA batteries for the LCD clock, lets hope the originals have been removed!

Mark
Closed Thread