UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2020, 1:24 am   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Marconi TF2603 RF Millivolt meter

Hi peeps.
I had one of these "beasties" in my cupboard for a while..and typically.. when I wanted to use it..it was not working..It was when it was put away.
As I had other means of measuring RF, I put it to one side till early this week.
The symptoms were... No Zero pot function.. All ranges reading low.... but not by the same percentage...
I chased my tail for a few hours, trying this and that, even the diodes in the probe..."not that"....Then I looked at the electrolytics on the main amp..One was O/c and others had a higher ESR than "00"... so all were replaced. Still faulty.
I looked on the forum and this fault had been noted before,, the result was the main range switch needed cleaning..so I cleaned the contacts and dried the wafers... still faulty.
As it is over 50 years old and I have other means of RF measurement I decided that my time is more precious than this lump, so it has been recycled...I suspect the range switch had more problems than I could see, thus it is BER.
I know the purists will throw their hands up in horror, sorry and all that.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread