UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2020, 12:03 am   #1
Pyehead
Triode

Default Ferguson 306T

Hi Guys

I am looking for a service sheet for my Ferguson 306T. I have looked on the internet but nothing comes up for this model. Anyone know where I could find one or another model similar

The set I have got the crt is great and produces a really clear picture. I just have a sound fault. Amplifier is working fine but no signal coming through on the sound channel.

Many thanks

John
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 7:45 am   #2
Jac
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 306T

John,

Please find attached the relevant Trader Sheet.
I hope this is allowed.

Jac
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1276.PDF (1.40 MB, 97 views)
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 11:26 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

One of the best and most popular Ferguson receivers ever. There are also HMV and Marconi versions but they bear no resemblance externally to the 306T. There is also a 21" version, the 308T.

If the audio amp is working there is not a lot to go wrong. I'm going to dive in the deep end and suggest it may be the detector diode that is hiding away in the final sound IF can W102. It's a bit of a fiddle to replace.
The interference limiter diode load resistor maybe O/C [R159 1M ohm] but Ferguson employed excellent resistors and it is rare to find ones that have drifted. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson 306T.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	201456  
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 1:43 pm   #4
Pyehead
Triode

Thank you so much Guys

Will post some pics once sorted
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 2:56 pm   #5
Pyehead
Triode

Hi Guys

What replacement Diode could I use for the detector diode above?

Many Thanks

John
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 5:44 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Virtually any germanium diode such as the OA90/91 etc will work fine. Check it's forward and reverse resistance. It's a pure guess but it might be O/C. Rocking the sound IF amp EF80 in it's socket should produce a few crackles. Complete lack of response suggests it's likely failure. Good luck! John.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 9:25 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
There is also a 21" version, the 308T.
...Yes...I remember that one. When I first started in the trade in 1970 I had the job of changing tubes. A 308T came in for such a job and when I had the chassis out I saw the 21" tube in its entirety...it was HUGE! Hitherto I wasn't bothered by handling most tubes but it was the first time I'd seen one of these and didn't fancy handling it. Fortunately the chief engineer was quite sympathetic and we did it between us. We used to wait until we had a few tubes for regunning and then take them over to Suffolk Tubes in Purley Way. It was placed with two others on the end bench to go next day.....I kept a wide berth from it and was glad to see it go next day. When it came back from the regunners I noticed the join in the neck and was very glad when it was safely installed (with help) in the 308T.

Silly really since it was probably no bigger than a 26" CRT from a G8 and I used to change those at Philips with no problem.....
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:03 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A long time ago in 1964 when I was 16 [working from home] I had to replace the massive 70 degree MW53-20 21" tube in a Ferguson 308T. At that time I rode a Velocette Venom 500cc motorbike.
I removed the tube in the customers house and having no other form of transport sat it on the pillion with bungee straps around either side of the neck, clipped onto the underneath of the seat. It was quite secure as I rode the bike along Kingston Road back to Central Tubes at Merton from Derby Road Wimbledon.
John the owner of central Tubes was horrified at the sight and insisted that he took the replacement tube, following me back to the customers house in his Austin 15cwt van.

When you are young, nothing seems impossible. Why should it? It's only when you look back on your exploits decades later [with experience] that you realize how unwise it was to carry out these dodgy expeditions. Hope this did not divert from the 306T too much but I thought you might like to cringe at the story. Happy days! John.
Old 23rd Mar 2020, 10:50 pm   #9
1100 man
Octode

Excellent! I always love reading tales from people that were there, in the trade in times past.

Maybe you should start a thread about 'tales from the trade'? I'm sure it would yield some great stories...

Strangely enough, last night I watched 'Ferguson- Men of Vision' on the 2009 BVWS DVD.

It's a great film detailing the new automated production line & PCB fabrication process at Enfield.

The sets they were making looked very similar, cabinet wise, to the 306T picture. I guess they were a bit later as they used mainly two PCB's. I could see a Fireball tuner, but my knowledge of Ferguson chassis' is woeful, so couldn't identify it.

They were whirling tubes about like they were toys- always carrying & lifting them by the neck!

There really is a treasure trove of material on those DVD's.

All the best
Nick
Closed Thread