UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2020, 1:33 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Philips 1500 and 1700 modules question

I have a number of the modules that are used in Philips 1700/1702 video machines. Nearly all of what I have are numbered thus style, 4822 XXX XXXXX. From past experience I'm pretty sure that these are for use with 1700 machines (exclusively?).

Now, I also have these modules marked thus:

Detector 3122 137 14801
Crom Ampl 3119 108 5381
U 228 WD 3103 128 21331

Does anyone know categorically what machine(s) these three modules are for use with? Of course, we can guess at 1500 series, but I'm looking for facts please. Thanks.
Old 12th Mar 2020, 7:15 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 1500 and 1700 modules question

This style isn't used for the N1700/N1702 exclusively. They were also used in the N1502/N1512 and in various TV chassis. Most notably K9 and K11, but also some B/W chassis from the early to mid 1970's.

From the numbers, the third one is likely the only one used in a VCR as it is the only one designed in Austria (the first is designed in the Netherlands, the second is designed in Italy).

What are the 4822-codes (if any) and the date codes on the modules and what do the labels and contents look like? Without looking up I'd say K9 or K11 TV modules, but I'll see what I can find with the information so far.
Old 12th Mar 2020, 7:41 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
This style isn't used for the N1700/N1702 exclusively. They were also used in the N1502/N1512 and in various TV chassis. Most notably K9 and K11, but also some B/W chassis from the early to mid 1970's.

From the numbers, the third one is likely the only one used in a VCR as it is the only one designed in Austria (the first is designed in the Netherlands, the second is designed in Italy).

What are the 4822-codes (if any) and the date codes on the modules and what do the labels and contents look like? Without looking up I'd say K9 or K11 TV modules, but I'll see what I can find with the information so far.
Ha, you've opened more questions that you've answered. Oh well, looks like I'll be advertising them simply as 'Philips modules'.

But anyway, you seem to be saying that the product type is dictated by the country of manufacture?
Old 14th Mar 2020, 2:38 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

I never mentioned the country of manufacture, but it often correlates with the design location indeed. The 3rd and 4th digit of the 12NC numbers, show where the number originated. 03 for Austria, 12 for Germany, 13 for the UK, 19 for Italy, 22 for Netherlands etc. (exception: service numbers will mostly start with 4822 since the service department was in The Netherlands regardless of the product's origin).

Since VCR development was exclusively done in Austria, modules for VCR will usually have 3103 codes. In the V2000/VHS era there was also some video design and menufacture in Germany but not using modules like this.

That's not to say that every module with a 3103 number is used in a VCR, since the Vienna factory still produced a limited number of K9 and possibly K11 TV sets. These sets were designed in The Netherlands, so modules often sported 3122 numbers regardless of the place of manufacture. However the design was adapted during production in other factories, so in that case the numbers correspond to the place of manufacture, 3103 for Austria, 3119 for Italy.

To reliably find the actual country of manufacture for any Philips set or assembly, you shouldn't look at the code numbers first but at the factory letters that are usually in front of the date codes or serial numbers. For Vienna Austria those letters are WD, WR or WT. For The Netherlands A, for the Bruges Belgium TV factory AG and for Monza Italy the letters PM are used.

Last edited by Maarten; 14th Mar 2020 at 2:49 pm.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 3:22 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

P.S. I haven't found any of the numbers in my database. I'd still be interested in the date codes/other stuff on the label, or if possible pictures of the modules and their content. That may help you in finding a new home for them, too.
Old 14th Mar 2020, 4:23 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks for the helpful info on the 12NC code Maarten. I've often wondered about how the code is composed.
Do you have a comprehensive listing for country of manufacture/design country codes?

Regards,
Symon
Old 15th Mar 2020, 2:53 am   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

You need to keep wondering about how the code is composed even if you have a list of some of the details. It's quite an ingenious system that isn't easily explained in one or two posts, also reflecting the matrix business structure which Philips used to have but still supports the current business structure as well.

I started a thread on 12NC codes: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...25#post1225625

For the factory letters as used in date codes and serial numbers, I refer to a thread on a Dutch forum where I keep track of those: https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view/114212

Last edited by Maarten; 15th Mar 2020 at 2:58 am.
Old 15th Mar 2020, 3:13 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks again Maarten, I'll have a good read though your linked thread and to your link to the circuitsonline forum.

Regards,
Symon
Old 15th Mar 2020, 5:05 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks for the info, interesting. I think I'm going advertise them as 'Philips modules for use with vintage TVs and videos', and include all the module numbers and where applicable, names too.