UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2020, 6:35 pm   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Non-contact frequency meter

Having bought a Uni-T UT210D clamp/multimeter via Amazon, on a hunch I tried the test shown in the picture- success!

It also works without any signs of trauma if you feed 240v mains straight into the meter.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01612.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	201921  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:46 am   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Non-contact frequency meter

Hope that's frequency and not temperature, Dave ...
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:03 pm   #3

They are rather good meters, there was a need to measure LED current at work (it seems so long ago now), some chap was about to cut the wires, I stopped him and brought in the UNI-T, it measured 1000:1 current pulses as a proper RMS value, 8Hz PRF (pulse repetition frequency).

I have a UNI-T at home, when I started my new job (exactly a year ago) free reign was given to buy "ones own tool kit", I got a UNI-T as one of the first items.

Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:55 am   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

..The temperature thermocouple is fragile looking but it does work- allegedly up to 230C although the meter can go higher with an alternative 'couple. (If you can get one)
Note the inclusion of Fahrenheit to keep the US happy!

As normal, the 'golden chicken' alkaline AA's are very lightweight and relegated to a scruffy head-torch.

Dave
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 2:49 pm   #5
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Hello Dave, am I to understand from your picture you were using your Uni-T UT210D meter as a no contact frequency counter. It would appear so from your picture, could be an age thing this end. I have tried the same with my 100 amp version all to no avail. The DC milli- amp range is really useful to me. Ted
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 2:06 pm   #6
ex seismic
Heptode

His is a D model. My 100A version is an E model, no Hz range.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 4:27 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

^^^ What he said, Ted!

The 'D' has a couple of extras over the 'E', which are Hz and Temperature (plus current ranges go up to 200A) seemingly the only compromise is the resolution on the current ranges is 10mA not 1mA.

Dave
Old 5th Apr 2020, 12:35 pm   #8
defender
Pentode

I preferred the UT- 210e as the current clamp goes down to 2A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_123053.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	202279  
Old 5th Apr 2020, 5:45 pm   #9
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Maybe I've mentioned this idea here before. I made a short extension lead for my Model E which enable me to test for the current in an AC circuit without removing the 13 amp plug. It is just a 13 amp socket box, with the Neutral looped out side the box and back in again. I plug in some device to the test box, clamp my Model e, around the Neutral and connect the short extension to the mains. Read off the current. I made a printed sheet for our club members should any one like a copy, please send me a PM with your email address. Ted
Old 5th Apr 2020, 7:50 pm   #10
The Philpott
Dekatron

That sounds like something i should make whilst at home!

The UT210D does go down to (almost) the same low currents, effectively auto-ranging where the 210E is manual ranging. As one you-tuber has observed, (and as i found out today) it is possible through finger trouble to get the selector switch half-way between detents, with confusing results. Not an uncommon problem with small clamp meters due to their small rotary selectors.

Dave
Closed Thread