UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2021, 6:49 pm   #1
onamatappear
Diode

Default Dynaudio M3XE Speakers

Hello All,
Can you please help?
I am expanding my audio collection and where I am not an expert I do appreciate high quality equipment.
A friend of mine loves his audio equipment and his enthusiasm is rubbing off on me.
He is looking to cast off some items.
He has the above speakers but they are not in the best shape.
He has informed me one of the speakers is missing a tweeter and the woofers may need re-foaming.
He has told me they are amazing speakers and having done my own research they appear to be special.
However, how much approximately would it cost to complete the repairs and what is a fair price considering their condition.
Any help is appreciated
Old 1st Mar 2021, 7:48 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Dynaudio M3XE Speakers

These are large studio monitor speakers and are rather an odd choice for a domestic hifi system. If I were you I would walk away, as they will need a lot of skilled work, and replacement drivers may be difficult to source and/or expensive.

What is the rest of the proposed system? What is your budget?
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 1:25 am   #3
jamesperrett
Octode

If you want them to perform up to spec then you need to contact Dynaudio for spares. These are still a current model so spares should be available. The drivers are likely to be custom made so you can't just replace them with generic parts.

Bear in mind that these also need to be used with the matching amplifier and crossover. It is likely that the DSP in the crossover is used for more than just frequency splitting.
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 1:41 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

You could buy a car for what these cost new, and spares are not going to be cheap. I'm with Paul - walk away and buy something more suited to domestic use.
Closed Thread