UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2021, 5:03 pm   #41
cratedigger
Triode

Default Re: Linn LK1 to Linn LK280 leads and Ekos tonearm

Changed a couple of IC's.
Still the same, mind you I occasionally get the volume buttons working.
No music at all though.
Going to check voltages on board next but most probably scrap the unit unfortunately.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 2:36 pm   #42
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Please advise what you mean by "Volume Buttons"? What are they, I have never heard of that term before.
Old 1st Mar 2021, 3:23 pm   #43
bikerhifinut
Octode

The buttons wot you push to raise or lower the volume Edward.
It won't have a potentiometer Volume Control rather it will have a chip controlled gain, probably of some sophistication.

A.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 12:55 am   #44
knobtwiddler
Octode

Looks to me like a working LK1 will fetch around £400. In my humble opinion, it's probably worth paying someone qualified to look at it. I know a few people who are independent and won't charge anything like Linn prices. I'm not advertising their services (the lock-down has meant they're besieged with work and they won't be grateful). But a little detective work ought to find a person with an oscilloscope who will at least check it out for you for under £25. They're out there. As David said, preamps really aren't rocket science and the right person might fix it in minutes.
Old 5th Mar 2021, 4:25 pm   #45
cratedigger
Triode

Yes a mate of mine is looking at it this weekend with his scope
Hopefully some good news next week,though I'm working away in Scotland for the next 6 weeks ☹
Old 18th Mar 2021, 11:48 pm   #46
cratedigger
Triode

Bought another Lk1 that was really cheap for spares but has hot exactly the same problem.So probably going to buy a Linn Intex amp off ebay or somewhere
Old 19th Mar 2021, 1:51 am   #47
Radio Wrangler

There are makes other than Linn, and people outside the Linn universe seem to think they work. Some of them, by no means all, are actually quite repairable. Some manufacturers actually support their products and like their customers so much that they charge fair prices for spares and servicing. However they don't really pretend to have secret sauces and rocket science, just good engineering.

Laying it on a bit thick? but I'm worried that having found how difficult and expensive their world is, you aren't trying to escape

David
Old 19th Mar 2021, 7:42 am   #48
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
There are makes other than Linn, and people outside the Linn universe seem to think they work. Some of them, by no means all, are actually quite repairable. Some manufacturers actually support their products and like their customers so much that they charge fair prices for spares and servicing. However they don't really pretend to have secret sauces and rocket science, just good engineering.
Who knew?
Old 30th Mar 2021, 1:20 am   #49
cratedigger
Triode

Ok time for a update to this thread.....
Bought another Lk1 but that has the same sort of fault so I have bought a Linn Intek amp
So if anyone wants to purchase the LK1s off me get in touch with me
I also don't need the two Linn LK280 amps any more,PM me if you are interested in these as well

Thanks for all your replies and help
Gary

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 30th Mar 2021 at 8:22 am. Reason: Email removed
Old 30th Mar 2021, 7:53 am   #50
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

eBay might be your best bet - in my experience, faulty Linn stuff goes well on there.
Old 30th Mar 2021, 7:09 pm   #51
PaulR
Dekatron

Before you dispose of them have you tried your recapped main board with the control board of the new one? Also, just go over it and take some voltage readings. One of the transistors controlling the voltage for one of the inputs had blown on the one I did.

Strange, mercurial stuff, Linn.

PS My Armstrong 600 series amp sounds just as good as my son's Linn setup to me!