UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2021, 9:27 pm   #1
LukeG83
Hexode

Default Hoovermatic Deluxe twin tub

Hi - any twin tub enthusiasts?

I have a 1980’s Hoovermatic twin tub. The machine will heat and wash. It will also rinse and spin.

The problem is that I can’t get the machine to empty the water from the tub.

Any suggestions where to look first? If there is a water pump are they usually belt driven . Thanks
Old 4th Feb 2021, 10:20 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Hoovermatic Deluxe twin tub

Hi, A number of Hoover machines had to have the spinner operational during emptying, I think the pump was driven by a belt from the spinner pulley and there was a diverting valve to change the water flow from being recycled in to the wash tub and towards the emptying hose.

I may be totally incorrect though as it's been a long time since I used a Hoover twin tub

Regards

Andrew
Old 4th Feb 2021, 11:29 pm   #3
LukeG83
Hexode

Thanks Andrew -hopefully I’ll get the time to take the back off over the weekend - belt probably perished with age - will update - thanks again
Old 5th Feb 2021, 8:36 am   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

It is as per above post, the pump is driven by a stretchy belt, easily seen at the bottom. Chances are that the pump has seized though. It could be dismantled and you might free it up but I don't know what chance there is for a replacement. If seized it would be because the seal has failed so if you free it up it may well leak
Old 5th Feb 2021, 12:34 pm   #5
cyclingluddite
No Longer a Member

When you say it rinses and spins, does it pump out the water from the spinner?

If it does then it will be a problem with the diverter valve. Just thinking of the blinding obvious you are switching it over are you? Sounds daft but I`m just trying to cover all avenues.

They are great machines though, I`ve got one, a T5054 had it for a few years now, great fun to use!
Old 5th Feb 2021, 7:04 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember a relative's twintub had a sort-of 'gearlever' on the back part of the flat top of the panel between the washer and spinner; in one position the water in the wash-tub was pumped round and came out through a nozzle back into the wash-tub via a circular filter-tray that sat on top of the wash-tub's agitator; in the middle position water from the washtub was pumped-out through the drain-hose that you hooked over the edge of the sink, The third 'gear' set the pump to pump-out the spinner down the aforementioned hook-ended drain hose.

You had to stop all the motors before 'changing gear', or there was an almighty shrieking of belt-slip!
Old 5th Feb 2021, 7:15 pm   #7
steve1010uk
Pentode

Look underneath you will see the pump just follow the outlet hose, it should be connected to the motor by an elasticated belt always known as a "blue spot belt" so called as it had a blue spot of paint on it.
If the belt has snapped it may well be missing.
It's ages since i worked on these, these belts were such a common fault that we kept a few of these belts on the gearlever of the van for easy access!
Some earlier machines used different size (spot colour ) belts, but most were blue spot,
Old 5th Feb 2021, 7:16 pm   #8
peterpixel
Pentode

I remember earlier models of Hoover twin tubs similar to this with the 'gearlever' system and not pumping out was very common and was invariably due to the pump impellor being obstructed with debris usually of the hair grip or apple stalk variety. It was a simple job to dismantle the pump to clear the probllem.Peter.
Old 5th Feb 2021, 11:50 pm   #9
LukeG83
Hexode

Thanks for your help everyone - the pump had seized but I managed to free it off. Also the belt with the blue markings is not as tight as it probably should be so a replacement has been purchased. I used the machine today and now that the wash water pumps out the machine is working as it should! Many thanks again
Closed Thread