UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 9:50 pm   #1
1100 man
Octode

Default Radio Caroline on MW

Hi there,
I don't know if this is the best place to put this but thought it might be of interest for anyone in the North West who might like to listen to this vintage station on MW. Radio Caroline (yes the one with the boat!) is still very much alive with several DJ's from the pirate era still broadcasting on the internet.
On one whole weekend per month, they team up with Manx radio on the Isle of Man and use their MW transmitter to broadcast programs, many of which come from the studios on the restored 'Ross Revenge' moored in the Blackwater estuary in Essex.
I don't know what the reception range would be on the mainland, but I am sure they would be chuffed to hear of anyone listening on vintage radio gear!
I think the general music choices for these broadcasts will be mainly 60's with a little 70's as well.
The next link up is this coming weekend- see website for more details as they say!

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

Enjoy!
Cheers Nick

Last edited by Station X; 22nd Mar 2017 at 9:56 pm. Reason: Link added.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:03 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Radio Caroline on MW

Manx Radio is a very strong signal on 1368kHz (219 metres) in Ipswich at present. Not sure what it'll be like in daylight hours.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:28 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

Here in east Cheshire, Manx is a weak-ish signal in the daytime and rather difficult to receive as there's a strong signal from Asian Sound on Ashton Moss just two miles from me AND it's in the same direction as Manx so it cannot be nulled out. By using sync detection and choosing the right sideband it is listenable, but only just.
I try to listen to the Caroline weekends, but sometimes it's just to hard.
The internet doesn't count as 'listening' in my world....
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:40 am   #4
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

25 to 20 years ago, I used to listen to 219m in N. Staffs throughout the TT period. (Daytime, early June). I had a long wire along my drive, fed onto a ferrite rod, maybe 20 turns, and a trimmer to tune it. I stood that on top of my NordMende Globetrotter 808 and missed nothing. In fact I do have some taped recordings I made for a pal who was hospitalised at the time. My cottage was isolated, so I did not have hash from everybody's wall warts, though my farmer neighbour did run an electric fence one day a field away. I heard that.
Les.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:42 am   #5
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Manx Radio is a very strong signal on 1368kHz (219 metres) in Ipswich at present. Not sure what it'll be like in daylight hours.
That's interesting. I never thought it would go that far. I've just checked on the 'net and they would seem to be using 20KW erp. Also, the board of Manx Radio has decided to cease MW transmissions in 2019.
I would have thought if you could receive it in Ipswich, then I could get it in Dunmow- I've never tried. Only problem is I don't actually have a radio (well really, and on this forum too ) At least, not a working one!
The last time I had an AM radio working was about 10 years ago and that was with a local transmitter!
Very poor show I'd say
Cheers Nick
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:52 am   #6
michamoo
Hexode

I can hear Manx radio quite well here in Cambrigeshire during the night at certain times of the year. A bit like old style Radio 2 at times though.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:53 am   #7
Croozer
Pentode

Manx Radio on 219m rcvd tonight in Edinburgh subject to some fading.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 10:23 am   #8
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I can receive Manx radio most evenings using the directional properties of a portable radio to null out BBC R Wiltshire from Swindon which also uses 219m. Often reception is almost up to local station level.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 11:30 am   #9
paulsherwin

It does travel quite well after dark, albeit with a lot of fading, but good daytime reception is restricted to a coastal strip from Anglesey to SW Scotland.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 12:45 pm   #10
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.

Manx Radio is quite variable here in Ayrshire, often it's very strong and I get excellent results in the car. Other times it's drowned out with noise. Good programming and a good listen.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 2:04 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Just tried Manx radio, very rare I listen to MW. Some background noise this lunch time in Wigan, probably a bit tiring for lengthy listening to speech but music seems to cover the noise.
Frank
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 2:28 pm   #12
Nicklyons2
Octode

A shame Manx Radio are considering shutting down their MW service; I'd sort of hoped that when the BBC et al had deserted the band it could be de-restricted a little and some smaller stations could be allowed a bit more freedom and power and try for bigger audiences. I appreciate many younger listeners listen on-line but, if MW got mentioned as much as DAB gets pushed maybe, like with vinyl, some would give it a try.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 3:19 pm   #13
Nuvistor
Dekatron

This station started transmitting on MW in the middle of last year, comments on the page noted the extra expense of MW over VHF FM.
http://radiowarrington.co.uk
I think land for a decent aerial and I think has been noted costs of maintenance and insurance of MW masts could be a problem.
I don't know the ERP or location of the transmitter but decent reception in Wigan in the day, will try in the evening.
Frank
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 4:43 pm   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I tried listening on 1369, there was music playing I thought it may be Radio Caroline, turned out to be Radio Lincolnshire on 1369. Guess there is no chance in this area while BBC Lincolnshire are broadcasting.

John.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 5:08 pm   #15
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi John
1369 is not a true MW channel I think R Lincolnshire would actually be on 1368, so it must be sharing the same channel as Manx radio.

Mike
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 5:10 pm   #16
paulsherwin

Yes, 1368: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_Lincolnshire
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 6:40 pm   #17
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

OOPS it was 1368.

John.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 7:57 pm   #18
hannahs radios
Hexode

1368kHz booms in here at night. I will be listening this weekend I know I can hear it on my longwire I'm going to try it on my ghettoblaster and hopefully get some recordings. Please guys let's not start quoting ERP figures that's not real power Manx's TX is 20 kilowatts at the base of the aerial so that's its real power.
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 8:15 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Hi there,
.... Radio Caroline (yes the one with the boat!) is still very much alive ....
Hmm, the word 'still' suggests uninterrupted RC broadcasting from inception (1964) to now. In fact RC's (somewhat chequered) RF broadcasts lasted until 1990, 27 years ago. But still good news that it lives on..
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 8:56 pm   #20
Station X

I couldn't hear Manx Radio during daylight hours, but it's coming in beautifully this evening.

I'm using a comms receiver fed with a 50 metre long wire aerial. The AGC is set to slow to overcome the fading.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread