UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2017, 12:55 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Wiring Smiths Sectric wall clock

I was thinking the same. I think this may well be a manual start version: letting go of the hand set allows it to spring back to its normal position, giving the rotor a shove as it does so.
Old 15th Mar 2017, 3:11 pm   #22
StacyT72
Retired Dormant Member

Guys!!! I followed exactly what you described, but decided to live life on the edge and go for the two core braided fabric covered mains. So glad I did! It's running flawlessly! Thank you all so very much for your help! It's a true thing of beauty! Now, just waiting for the 1A fuse to arrive so I can switch that over and keep her plugged in! Thanks so much again!
Old 15th Mar 2017, 8:25 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done!
Old 8th Apr 2017, 3:10 pm   #24
BulgingCap
Pentode

I have one of these clocks that I managed to liberate from my old junior school when it was demolished. It had spent its life (50+ years) in the staff room and was nearly unreadable due to nicotine on the glass and Bakelite case! The original fabric covered twisted mains lead is short and terminated in a Bakelite plug whose 'pins' consist of two fuses. The socket for this was mounted in the wall and concealed by the clock. I have never managed to find the correct socket.
BC
Old 15th May 2017, 12:57 pm   #25
Voxophone
Hexode

Regarding fuses for electric clocks, I've seen at least one example with an in-line fuse holder fitted to the live conductor behind the clock designed to take 20 mm glass fuses.

Something like this I think: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-mm-20AM...-/180538156399

I haven't tried this myself but it might be a way to avoid having to source 1A fuses to fit standard plugs. Glass fuses are available at much lower ratings than 1A which could be useful since the current draw of these clocks is extremely low.

Not sure whether anyone else has come across this before?

Liam
Old 15th May 2017, 6:00 pm   #26
Leon Crampin
Octode

Not really a safe scheme. Glass fuses don't have the rupture current/time (I squared t) rating for mains use unless protected further upstream. That's why "plug" fuses to BS1362 have ceramic bodies and a sand fill.

I can't condone the use of a fuse holder which exposes live parts when dismantled without tools.

Clocks very seldom blow fuses - the motors fail open. My synchronous wall clocks are wired into the lighting circuit and protected by its 5A fuse. This is correctly rated to protect all the cabling. When used with a 13A plug, I fit a 1A fuse to BS1362 - as I do for vintage radios.

Leon.
Closed Thread