UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 7:11 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Hacker RP36

Just found this little gem at a local second hand shop and secured it for the measly sum of £5 - it came with a small AC power pack attached (the wires simply twisted around the battery pack terminals )

Not totally (at all) familiar with the radio but it's very neat and clean inside with nothing missing and nothing (seemingly) touched internally. It only requires a very thorough clean up.

The telescopic antenna is perfect and the only thing that I need to question is the condition of the handle.

It 'appears' as if the faux leather (?) coating has been pulled off leaving what looks like a paper-like surface under. Is this a correct assumption?

Do the handles normally match the body colour? In this case a dark blue/black?

If the handle IS missing its fabric cover, can anyone recommend where to obtain such that it can be re-applied?

Dave
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 8:15 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker RP36

You'll be right about what's befallen the handle covering. It should be extremely similar to the leathercloth covering the case, I think it may be exactly the same material, colour usually just called black but Hacker mostly called it charcoal. With luck someone will have obtained suitable material for re-covering the handle and be able to make an exact recommendation, but Ratchfords are one useful supplier of such materials.

Paul
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 8:21 pm   #3
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Dave

Looks like you had a real bargain there. The Helmsman is a sought after radio as it has shortwave bands. No FM though. The handle material was paper backed rexine. If you remove it and soak the handle in warm water it should come off. If you search for rexine then there are a few suppliers that still have it. Cloth backed will do fine and use double sided tape to stick it back. Have a look at my video here which shows me fitting some to a Helmsman https://youtu.be/-5yljxgAwmM

Good luck

Graham
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 8:40 pm   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

Paul and Graham - excellent! Two brilliant suggestions. Many thanks. I'll be watching your video collection on it's restoration Graham - great stuff.

Dave
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 1:21 am   #5
mhennessy
Dekatron

The "Rexine"-like material that Hacker used was quite a step up in quality from whatever Roberts used at the time. It was cloth-backed, and the outer surface is very hard-wearing compared to others - I've thrown all sorts of chemicals at Hacker sets with no ill effects, whereas foam cleaner - which I regard as fairly mild - has removed the dye from several contemporary Roberts sets with ease. Hacker usually described it as "Cordoba leathercloth".

In the case of the handle, I think you're seeing the residue from the double-sided tape that sticks the leathercloth to the handle. I've found that the best way to remove this is to leave the handle in a bowl of water overnight - the paper and glue residue will peel away really easily in the morning.
Closed Thread