UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2011, 12:02 pm   #1
David Goodall
Pentode

Default Pre Purchase Neurosis (Quad again!)

I was just about to bid for a Quad 34, when I noticed the spec' that was included in the description. Having pawed Quad literature endlessly for the last three months, I noticed a difference in quoted spec' between the 44, and 34. I thought that their specifications were meant to be the same. The 44 scores slightly higher in residual noise, and signal to noise. Any thoughts on why this should be?
Old 9th Jun 2011, 7:46 pm   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: Pre Purchase Neurosis (Quad again!)

The circuits are totally different so its no surprise the noise specs are too. The 34 uses an R/C "Ambler" tone control and tilt circuit, the 44 is a design based on wound (inductive) components.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 8:46 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Fret not - buy on facilities required and enjoy!
Old 10th Jun 2011, 11:54 am   #4
David Goodall
Pentode

Thank you both for your input. I have read how Quad insists that there is no difference in the sound between their products, but it's nice to know that the numbers tally.