UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:11 am   #81
Wage Slave
Hexode

Default Re: Leak Delta 30 Amplifier - One Channel Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
R15 supplies collector current to T1 and bias to the base of T2. It being open circuit won't help matters at all. Replace it.
I will as soon as I can lay my hands on one!
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:36 am   #82
Wage Slave
Hexode

Help! Will 1/2 a watt be sufficient for R15?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:49 am   #83
jjl
Octode

Yes, a 470K 1/2W resistor will be fine to replace R15.

John
Old 4th Oct 2010, 10:51 am   #84
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Yes, a 470K 1/2W resistor will be fine to replace R15.

John
Ta. It's on order. It will take a week or so to arrive. Annoying!
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:17 am   #85
Station X

Nothing like Maplin, Tandy, Radio Shack or Dick Smith Electronics in Japan then? That surprises me.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:46 am   #86
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Nothing like Maplin, Tandy, Radio Shack or Dick Smith Electronics in Japan then? That surprises me.
I'm investigating but the language barriers make it really hard. There is of course Akihabara in Tokyo where you can buy absolutely anything out of the stalls in the arches under the railway lines.Then of course you can go off to enjoy a coffee in a maid cafe. Amazing place.

I don't live in Tokyo though. Far from it. I am asking if anyone I know in Yokyo is in the Akihabara area this week but all in all, if I buy it from the UK, I know I am getting the right thing and best of all I can do it all by myself.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:50 am   #87
Wage Slave
Hexode

Right. I checked ever other resistor on the board and they are all good with the possible exception of R27 (3.3k) reading 3.8K and R25 (3.3K) reading 4.02K. These are both bigger wire wound type resistors. Is that anything to worry about do you think?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 11:54 am   #88
Alistair D
Nonode

When you measured R32 in circuit was one of your probes connected the chassis of the amp?
The reason I am asking is that the there is a whole chunk of the circuit that is grounded via pin 19. A high restance could help explain the correct emitter voltage and high collector voltages on T4 and explain the funny resistance measurements,
If your probes were always connected to the board I am talking rubbish.

Al
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:00 pm   #89
Station X

If I'd known you had to get components from the UK I'd have happily have sent you a few resistors FOC. It's not as if I'm short of them.

It would be unusual for wirewound resistors to go high in value. They generally go open circuit due to a break in the wire, or low resistance due to adjacent turns touching. So long as they don't look discoloured I'd assume they're OK.

I'd put the circuit back together around T4 and T5 and check the voltages there again.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:01 pm   #90
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
When you measured R32 in circuit was one of your probes connected the chassis of the amp?
The reason I am asking is that the there is a whole chunk of the circuit that is grounded via pin 19. A high restance could help explain the correct emitter voltage and high collector voltages on T4 and explain the funny resistance measurements,
If your probes were always connected to the board I am talking rubbish.

Al
No no, I am well worth checking on. Both probes were on the board when I was measuring that. The only time I had one clipped to the chassis was when measuring transistor voltages.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:06 pm   #91
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
If I'd known you had to get components from the UK I'd have happily have sent you a few resistors FOC. It's not as if I'm short of them.

It would be unusual for wirewound resistors to go high in value. They generally go open circuit due to a break in the wire, or low resistance due to adjacent turns touching. So long as they don't look discoloured I'd assume they're OK.

I'd put the circuit back together around T4 and T5 and check the voltages there again.
That's really kind of you. I have ordered them from Cricklewood along with the transistors. At least I hope I have ordered them. Their order system for overseas customers consists of emailing sales with your cc number. I haven't heard back from them yet.

If they get it out today I might even get them by the end of the week. It usually takes 4 to 6 days for things to get here.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:06 pm   #92
Alistair D
Nonode

As a double check have a look at the diagram there are a number of edge connector fingers all attached to the thick black line (ground) it is also connected to the chassis. With one probe touching the chassis you shoud see an ohm or 2 on each if these ground pins. Meter polarity should not matter here.
These connections may also be intermittent.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 4th Oct 2010 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:10 pm   #93
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Yep. So that would just mean putting T5 back? C11 and C17 are out as well as T1 but they can stay out for now?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:17 pm   #94
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
As a double check have a look at the diagram there are a number of edge connector fingers all attached to the thick black line (ground) it is also connected to the chassis. With one probe touching the chassis you shoud see an ohm or 2 on each if these ground pins. Meter polarity should not matter here.

Al
Yep. I'm not quite sure what I should be testing here. The connection at the "fingers?" So for example, check that T1 emitter is connected to earth through "finger" 4.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:25 pm   #95
Alistair D
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wage Slave View Post
Quote:

Al
Yep. I'm not quite sure what I should be testing here. The connection at the "fingers?" So for example, check that T1 emitter is connected to earth through "finger" 4.
Sorry, yes it is ambiguous.
One probe on the chassis and the other probe to fingers 2, 8 and 19 (4 is not a ground) on the the board you have been working on. You are checking that there is a connection through the finger to the chassis of the amp.
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:27 pm   #96
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al
One probe on the chassis and the other probe to fingers 2, 8 and 19 (4 is not a ground) on the the board you have been working on. You are checking that there is a connection through the finger to the chassis of the amp.
Will do. I need to look more carefully!
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:36 pm   #97
Alistair D
Nonode

I am still not clear enough in my descrription. (it al seems very clear to me but then I have been doing this kind of work 30 odd years).

On the diagram you will see that one side of R32 is connected to finger 19. Connect one probe of your meter to this point on the resistor when the board is in place. The other probe to the chassis. the resistance should be 1 ohm or less.

Please dont be afraid to keep asking until you are clear about what I am asking.

Al
Old 4th Oct 2010, 12:45 pm   #98
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
I am still not clear enough in my descrription. (it al seems very clear to me but then I have been doing this kind of work 30 odd years).

On the diagram you will see that one side of R32 is connected to finger 19. Connect one probe of your meter to this point on the resistor when the board is in place. The other probe to the chassis. the resistance should be 1 ohm or less.

Please dont be afraid to keep asking until you are clear about what I am asking.

Al
No no that's fine. Understood. I was just berating myself for not noticing pin 4 isn't connected to ground. Just crossing it. At one stage didn't diagrams have a loop in the line to show this?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 1:10 pm   #99
Wage Slave
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Al
2 and 19 connect nicely. 8 doesn't but is 8 in fact an earth?
Old 4th Oct 2010, 1:17 pm   #100
Alistair D
Nonode

You are correct I am misreading the letter B for 8.
At least we have ruled out another possibility.
As Station X says go ahead and try it out.

Al