UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2005, 1:55 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default AVO Mk.IV Valve tester problems

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum, I know its not a wireless!

Yesterday when trying to test some PCL82 triode/pentodes on my AVO I encountered a problem with the cutout kicking in. The valves tested ok on Cold/Hot/Insulation but were kicking off on test, even though it appeared to only be drawing 2mA! Is this something to do with the fact that its a triode/pentode. When testing the triode section should I be doing something special with the screen setting?

After trying a third valve its now died completely, the fuse in the plug and the one in the back of the chasis are ok, so I'm gussing its the cutout itself thats broken. Has anybody got any hints on how to best overhaul this. It all looks a bit delicate to me!

Cheers

dom
Old 7th Mar 2005, 2:23 pm   #2
Sam
Hexode

Default Re: AVO Mk.IV Valve tester problems

I have use the one at Uni (which I have strongly hinted I would like to have! ). There is a 'normal/unlimited' switch. When testing multiple valves you have to set this to 'normal' or 'unlimited' dependant on the valve.

Hope this helps - I cannot help with the cut-out!

Sam
Old 7th Mar 2005, 2:33 pm   #3
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Try turning the power off and gently rocking the AVO back and forth a couple of times if the trip goes. They don't always reset themselves.

Pete.
Old 7th Mar 2005, 11:05 pm   #4
dominicbeesley
Octode

Cheers, yes it appears it was stuck open, Ive now poked at the cutout and given it a clean, it was pretty grubby and was not always snapping shut again.

Also, is it supposed to stay set until powered off. Mine just clatters and sparks but doesnt actually lock completely. The pygmy bulb is blown, is that part of the circuit?

My set doesn't have a limited/unlimited switch so maybe its a Mk.III, there's been some confusion in the past as it has a weird set of valve bases on the top. Somebody said it may be some special "military" spec one?

I've had problems in the past testing some big TV pentodes 6P28s where it does this but they looked fairly hefty (and had big currents to boot) so I put it down to them being a bit out of range. But these PCL82 valves are fairly weedy so I wouldn't expect them to bother it. Its fine testing EL84s, 6G6s etc which pull far more current. I'll be a bit miffed if I can't get it going as I've just drilled out a chasis ready to put the valves in for my new HI Fi amp!

Cheers

Dom
Old 7th Mar 2005, 11:51 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/avotesters.html

There are pictures of the different types here. The one at Uni is definitely a Mk IV. The Normal/Unlimited switch is the toggle switch to the right of the ~ set one (I think!)

Sam
Old 8th Mar 2005, 1:28 pm   #6
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley
Cheers, yes it appears it was stuck open, Ive now poked at the cutout and given it a clean, it was pretty grubby and was not always snapping shut again.

Also, is it supposed to stay set until powered off. Mine just clatters and sparks but doesnt actually lock completely. The pygmy bulb is blown, is that part of the circuit?
Dom,

It sounds as if this is a MkIII and the pygmy bulb is a part of the circuit of the trip. The trip is supposed to stay set until power-off. If you let it chatter and arc it will burn the contacts. The pygmy bulb is a bit odd judging from the manual as it is rated at 200V 15W.

You can download the manual here. http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/avo/

Pete.
Old 8th Mar 2005, 11:48 pm   #7
dominicbeesley
Octode

Cheers to the two previous posts.

From the pictures it definitely looks like a Mk.III (with a few extra sockets).

I'll put the bulb back tomorrow, though don't know where I'll stick it - it used to be attached to the back of the meter assembly but that's all in bits since I put in an op-amp/new meter setup.

I've had a look now at the circuit diagram for the cut-out and /think/ I understand it.

Still not sure why it was kicking in though on these weedy little valves!

Thanks again

Dom
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 8:31 pm   #8
martin4
Retired Dormant Member

If it is a mark 3, you have to turn the screen volts to zero when checking the triode, as the anode volts on the pentode is still present . the triode has a g1 volts of about 0-2 so the pentode is then seriously over run.
Martin.
Closed Thread