UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2005, 3:30 pm   #1
vahakuja
Triode

Default AVO 8 Mk2 - A.C. problem

I have an Avo8, which has been on shelf for a longer time. Now, when "reactived" it, I met the following sympton: The intrument is low on all A.C. Ranges but is correct on D.C. Ranges. For example when input voltage is 230V (A.C.), the instrument displays abt. 70V /(range 250V). There are now visible faul signes in componets.
Could somebody help and advice possible reason for this sympton ? I have the schematics.

BR Ake
Old 6th Jan 2005, 3:39 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AVO 8 Mk2 - A.C. problem

Hi Ake,

firstly, the service manual is here:

www.g1jbg.co.uk/service.htm

Secdondly,

my first thought would be the rectifier, but these very rarely fail. It may be a common resistor gone high.

Jim.
Old 6th Jan 2005, 5:37 pm   #3
SPCh
Rest in Peace

I have never had rectifier problems on any of the AVOs I've collected.

HOWEVER I have had to replace them in all 3 of my father's meters.

They had been used extensively for television servicing, and thus "exposed" to voltages around LOPTs. I'm not aware that he used the AC ranges very often, at all, and he wouldn't have CONSCIOUSLY used them for drawing arcs from PL81 top caps, or EY51s, but he may well have done so INADVERTENTLY.

Moral: Treat 'em right, they'll last forever.
Old 8th Jan 2005, 3:22 pm   #4
pmmunro
Octode

The Model 8 Mk2 uses a Westinghouse copper oxide rectifier in a squat, black cylindrical package mounted on a piece of srbp strip fixed under the current transformer. I have know this to develop the fault you describe. These were supplied with braided pigtail leads attached which may be an indication that heat directly on the tags of the rectifier package is not good for the rectifier elements which are in the form of copper discs about 3mm in diameter.

One possible cure, if you're not concerned about historical accuracy, or accept that repairs are part of this, is to replace it with a bridge of four OA95 germanium diodes. This does not seem to call for recalibration.

One point to watch is the vulnerability of the pointed hexagonal studs which press against the battery contact fingers. The leverage on these studs, due to their length, makes it very easy to break the moulded bakelite mounting plates for the ohms adjuster pots. (A possible remedy is to make a new plate from two thicknesses of GRP printed circuit laminate bonded with epoxy resin, using the original spacer pads cut from the moulding).
Old 8th Jan 2005, 8:54 pm   #5
vahakuja
Triode

Yes, the rectifier stack looks very special and the construction is what your told. I was wondering might the rectifier be from selenium but its good to know what it really is.
My intention is use this Avo in my radio restoring works so your advice to use OA95s suits me well. I don't have OA95s available just now but I can make first test with some other diodes. Is it necessary to have germanium or are SI diodes sufficient? (Just to test)
The bakelite mounting plates seems to be OK but I'll recheck this area too.

Thank you to all of you about your support.

Ake
Old 8th Jan 2005, 10:02 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Ake, you will need to use a Ge rectifier as Si has too high a forward volt drop and will affect the cal of your instrument. Some of the small schottkys (BAT***? series) may do as they have low forward drops.
Ed
Old 9th Jan 2005, 2:50 pm   #7
pmmunro
Octode

OA95 germanium diodes are available from Farnell (Stock No. 368 039) at 50p each. They will accept credit card orders but have a minimum order value of £15 if this form of payment is used.

I suggested OA95 diodes as these are used in later versions of the Model 8, but it is very likely that OA91s would be just as good and that schottky diodes would are suitable if you have a suitable standard with which to check calibration. (OA91s are available from Maplin at 37p).
Old 11th Jan 2005, 6:59 pm   #8
vahakuja
Triode

It seems that this AVO fault is quite tricky. I have replaced the original rectifier with four OA 95s (actually with AA117s from Telefunken) but A.C. voltage display indicated same as earlier! (about 25% of actual). So the original Westinghouse rectifier is not the basic fault reason.
Anyhow, my intention is not yet give up, so therefore all hints are very welcome.

BR Ake
Old 12th Jan 2005, 10:38 pm   #9
vahakuja
Triode

Default Re: AVO 8 Mk2 - A.C. problem. Now solved

A.C display problem is now solved. Faulty componed was "The switch contact assembly" in D.C. Switch cam (Contact OP was in closed postion when the DC switch is in A.C postion; must be open).

BR Ake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO8MK2-Faulty position contact.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	76  
Closed Thread