UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2014, 10:22 pm   #21
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Built to last, not surpassed: Your old appliances still on the go

I`ve got a 34 year Belling "FORMAT" cooker which today still looks as though it`s just come out of the show room, I`ve always been a bit ocd about looking after it and that has paid off. When it was new it was top of the range and one of the first to have halogen hotplates - all of which still work and the ceramic surface is still mint. All I`ve had to replace is the main oven door seal, and the element for the small oven.

It`s going nowhere! It`s heavy, solid, built to last, and cooks a fantastic Christmas dinner! It suits my new kitchen well, and probably good for another 34 years I should think.....
Old 1st Jun 2014, 11:03 pm   #22
kirstyd
Heptode

I have this Hacker radiogram in my lounge it was bought by my parents back in `1968 and it cost £200 .A couple of years ago it broke down so i had it restored [lots of new capacitors and a fiew other odds and ends it now as good as new and sounds really good .there is a CD player and a casette deck in the drop down compartment at the bottom its also a real talking point when visitors call ohh yes and its made from real wood remember that stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	93693  
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 8:38 am   #23
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Not many CD players around in 1968!

Michael
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 7:26 pm   #24
johnlees
Hexode

Smile Re: Built to last, not surpassed: Your old appliances still on the go

I'm still using a hand-held Moulinex food mixer bought in 1954. It was £5 and still works perfectly.

John.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 8:03 pm   #25
vidjoman
Dekatron

I've got a yard broom from about 1955. It' only had 4 new heads & 2 new handles, and it still sweeps like new.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 8:19 pm   #26
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Built to Last, not Surpassed: Your old ELECTRICAL Appliances still on the go

Trigger's Broom doesn't quite qualify as "White Goods", please keep the thread title in mind when replying.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 9:00 pm   #27
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Built to Last, not Surpassed: Your old ELECTRICAL Appliances still on the go

Until a few years ago, my recently-deceased mother was still using her old Singer 15k sewing machine with the add-on electric motor I remember her buying for it in the mid-1950's. We are now clearing the house, and none of the charities we have approached will take it ( Health & Safety) because it has an exposed drive belt, so it's off to the recycling centre next week.
Old 2nd Jun 2014, 11:21 pm   #28
Herald1360
Dekatron

I wouldn't be surprised if someone here would have it. Is it a table model or cabinet one?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 12:25 am   #29
emeritus
Dekatron

It's a cabinet model, mounted in a wooden cabinet that still has its foot treadle. It used to be able to sew 1/4" leather with the right needle and thread. Transport would be the problem. It's in Dagenham, near Chadwell Heath station. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post this this sort of item on this forum, but if anyone wants it (or even just the motor) , please let me know. , FOC if you can arrange collection in the next week.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 12:31 am   #30
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Until a few years ago, my recently-deceased mother was still using her old Singer 15k sewing machine with the add-on electric motor I remember her buying for it in the mid-1950's. We are now clearing the house, and none of the charities we have approached will take it ( Health & Safety) because it has an exposed drive belt, so it's off to the recycling centre next week.
These fetch reasonable sums (£10-£30) on eBay, even collection only, so it's certainly worth selling. A bit of googling will reveal lots of info. The external motor and belt is completely normal for any machine made before the mid 60s and is perfectly safe, though these machines are generally not earthed and often give a slight tingle.

A sewing machine will often be the oldest appliance in a house, having been passed down through the generations. I still have my great grandmother's Jones Family CS, bought on HP in 1898 and still sewing well, though quite worn. My main machine is a 1934 Singer 201K, one of the first of these models made and still an excellent performer. Sewing machines made between about 1895 and 1960 will last almost indefinitely if lubricated properly and stored in dry conditions.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 12:40 am   #31
emeritus
Dekatron

Indeed, my mother had been trained as a machinist on this type of machine before the war, (making handbags), and always carefully cleaned and lubricated the mechanism before putting it away. It has got to go, as she lived in a rented house, and an extra week's rent awaiting a potential buyer would cost considerably more than the machine is worth.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 12:51 am   #32
paulsherwin

If you really do scrap it, remove the motor and pedal first. These can obviously be used on other sewing machines (my 1898 Jones will take one, for example, and my Singer uses a near identical one), but they are also useful for anyone building workshop equipment such as lightweight lathes or grinders.

I do appreciate your position though, as I'm also clearing my deceased mother's house at present.

If your mother was a keen machinist she may have owned lots of attachments such as buttonholers and zigzaggers. These will fit any low shank machine and are all saleable, or charity shops will accept them. It's certainly a pity to chuck them in the recycling bin.
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 10:41 am   #33
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Emeritus and Paul,

I for one, and no doubt others, would much like to view some pictures of your sewing machines.

Any possibility of this please?

Emeritus - a machine such as yours should not be scrapped.
Suggest placing on the 'Items Offered' forum here as foc - collect soonest.

Regards - Mike
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 12:23 pm   #34
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I still have my mothers Wolf Cub drill that she bought in the '50s to make cupboards for the kitchen when timber came off licence after the war. Very good they were too.

Peter
Old 3rd Jun 2014, 9:58 pm   #35
emeritus
Dekatron

I have now put it on the "Items offered" section, with photos.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 12:06 pm   #36
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
I for one, and no doubt others, would much like to view some pictures of your sewing machines.
Here are quick phone camera pics of the 201K and Jones. I don't actually collect sewing machines as I have enough trouble storing all the radios - the 201K is a working machine and the Jones is a family heirloom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00151.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	93829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00153.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	93830  
Old 5th Jun 2014, 3:03 pm   #37
threeseven
Octode

Still using a Black & Decker jigsaw inherited from my father. It's one of the gold painted ones and must be at least 50 years old, looks good for 50 more at least! The only plastic parts I can find on it are the screw in plugs that allow the brushes to be inspected and changed.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 5:02 pm   #38
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Just as with radios, certain sewing machines, which to this layman appear much like the rest, are very collectable, and command high prices. Well worth checking first!
Old 7th Jun 2014, 5:31 pm   #39
paulsherwin

There are two markets for old sewing machines, the collectors and the serious users.

Some of the Singer models are viewed as classics of unsurpassed quality and usability - the 221/222 Featherweight models are very popular with American quilting enthusiasts, while the 201 is still used by professional tailors and dressmakers today, though not usually as their primary machine. I don't think I'd have a 201 if I had to buy it on the open market

The cheaper 66 and 99 models remain very usable for the domestic user, despite being simple straight stitch machines. Straight stitching is 99.9% of domestic sewing, even when a fancy computer controlled machine is available.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 6:17 pm   #40
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

I`ve got, and still use regularly a little bright orange black and decker mower from the early 70`s. It`s lightweight but robust, and only has a low wattage motor so struggles a bit if the grass gets long so I have to give the "ol girl" a bit of help, otherwise it cuts beautifully, and has always been totally reliable, I`ve never even had to replace the motor brushes in all that time.

I have lapsed and bought new mowers before, but they have been utter cr*p in comparison, and I usually give them away and go back to old faithful
Closed Thread