UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2006, 4:28 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Octal valve bases.

Octal chassis mount relay sockets make cheap alternatives to octal valve bases. The ones I have used are from RS (part number 419 4222). The solder tag ones are available in minimum packs of 3. The tags on the bases are straight and not splayed like a true valve base but can still be used successfully. Has anyone else used these in the past? I can't be certain of the voltage ratings though, as they are plastic, but I believe they should be rated ok at mains voltages.

Biggles
Old 28th Jul 2006, 4:30 pm   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: Octal valve bases.

I thought RS still stocked valve bases. They still stock valves. Josh.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 4:35 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

You're probably right Josh, the proper valve bases may well be cheaper knowing my reverse logic approach!

Biggles.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 5:35 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I've use'd the maplin's ones beforwe when i was playing about with some amp desighns also built a trf set useing the same, i have four screwed to a peace of wood for such experiments. the ones i have all pins come out to screw terminals which mackes them ideal for experimenting. not particulerly cheep though.

Jay
Old 28th Jul 2006, 5:50 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Octal chassis mount relay sockets make cheap alternatives to octal valve bases. The ones I have used are from RS (part number 419 4222). The solder tag ones are available in minimum packs of 3. The tags on the bases are straight and not splayed like a true valve base but can still be used successfully. Has anyone else used these in the past? I can't be certain of the voltage ratings though, as they are plastic, but I believe they should be rated ok at mains voltages.

Biggles
The Omron ones are very good and as Jay points out have screw terminals so ideal for breadboarding. They aren't particularly cheap though!

Regards,
Old 29th Jul 2006, 8:15 am   #6
arjoll
Dekatron

Jaycar do octal valve bases, NZ$6.70 incl GST each which doesn't seem to bad price-wise (works out to about GBP2.20).
Closed Thread