UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2010, 3:41 pm   #101
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: Unusual BS1363 Socket Designs

It would probably fit 2amp, 5amp & 15amp 2 pin and unshuttered 3 pin sockets, albeit loosely . Having said that, it has a "continental" look about it.
Cheers, Pete
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 9:04 pm   #102
ben
Dekatron

just seen this online fitted to a tandberg reel recorder. Looks rather lethal, is it a 'fitall'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weird mains plug.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	60651  
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 9:09 pm   #103
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes. The pins rotate through 90° to lock, if you're lucky. Fitnone might have been a better name. Something not quite right about the wiring too!

Lucien
Old 3rd Jan 2012, 10:54 pm   #104
Brased
Hexode

Yes I remember them. Probably slightly safer than using bared wires stuffed into the socket with matchsticks.
Old 4th Jan 2012, 9:47 am   #105
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

The up lock for the pins did not always work either (it was controlled by small lever and shutter arrangement). This often led to fireworks on metalclad, floor mounted stage sockets.
I still have an example with slightly melted round pins.

Ed
Old 26th Jul 2013, 4:13 pm   #106
Socketman
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Just for information, all 13amp plugs & sockets past and present were/are BS1363
Cheers de Pete
Just to throw a spanner in the works, I've noticed that out of the two externally identical MK switched single sockets in my photo, the cream one is to BS1363, whereas the brown one is to BS2814...

Steve
Please forgive me for this late addition, but I can add something here. The original 1947 BS 1363 standard was for unswitched sockets only, that was a deliberate decision made by the committee. However, there was a demand for switched sockets and a separate standard was published in 1957, BS 2814:1957 "Two-pole and earthing-pin flush-mounted 13-Amp switch socket-outlets for A.C. circuits up to 250 Volts". It took another 10 years before everything was brought together in the revised BS 1363:1967 "Specification for 13A plugs, switched and unswitched socket-outlets and boxes".

The paint spec mentioned by Herald1360 is not "BS 2814" but "BS EN ISO 2814" - something completely different.
Closed Thread