UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2005, 11:59 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Megger Major Questions

I was given a hand-cranked Megger Major today in its leather case, with its test leads. It is in a metal silver-painted wrinkle-finish case, with a pale-blue bottom half. I guess it is from about 1972, as a price given on the operating card is "10p (2s)".

What EXACTLY are they useful for - I guess checking how dodgy an old mains cable is! I know you can (somehow) check if a transformer is breaking-down. Is this primary to secondary though? I want to use this thing, especially as I was given it!
My question is, where should the needle sit on the meter? It usually seems to hover about 1/3 to 2/3 of teh way accross the scale. Is this OK? I have played with it a bit, and it seems to give believeable results - 100Mohm resistance for a brand-new bit of mains fles (on the 500v Mohm x 1 range).

Sam
Old 21st Mar 2005, 12:41 am   #2
joe
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Megger Major Questions

Hi Sam

"Meggers" (Trade Mark) are insulation testers. They measure resistance, but with a high voltage applied to the item under test. Full scale deflection is zero ohms, the other end of the scale will show 100 to 200 megohms. The big difference between these and an ordinary meter is that a good wind of the handle can produce 500v! The Megger Major may even be higher. Take care, they really can make you jump.

As for the meter movement it is some arrangement of two coils at right angles and there is no hair spring so the needle will come to rest rather randomly when its not in use.

Joe
Old 21st Mar 2005, 12:43 am   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Sam,

I have a document at:

www.g1jbg.co.uk/service.htm

which gives the theory and some of the uses of a Megger.

Jim.
Old 21st Mar 2005, 1:38 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Sam, In my day they were used to test unwary apprentices at Reyrolle, so note the eatlier warning. Ithing the Major Megger was good for 1000volts. It should be marked on the case somewhere.

Ed
Old 21st Mar 2005, 3:30 pm   #5
Sam
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
Hi Sam, In my day they were used to test unwary apprentices at Reyrolle, so note the eatlier warning. Ithing the Major Megger was good for 1000volts. It should be marked on the case somewhere.

Ed
Yup, 100, 250, 500, and 1000V 'ranges'. Wonder if I can draw much of a spark between the terminals! Probably best not to try.

Thanks for the reassurance about the needle Joe. I just wanted to make sure the movement was OK. A clean up of the Megger and leather case, and it should look quite neat! I downloaded that information from Jim Beacon's site, and will read it later.

Sam
Old 21st Mar 2005, 6:46 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Sam, not much of a spark I'm afraid. If as an aprentice you were subject to the insulation resistance test the trick was to hold the terminals very tightly, your very low resistance than reduced the voltage and nothing was felt. A weak grip would have you jumping!

Ed
Closed Thread