UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2008, 3:31 am   #21
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pioneer PL-12D turntable maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
My question is why does the Aiwa turntable play loudly but the Pioneer play quietly. Is there a 'pre-amp' somewhere in the Aiwa?
Yes

According to the manual, there's a switchable RIAA preamp in your turntable (which is fitted with a moving magnet cartridge.) Under the platter you'll find a slide switch marked "EQUALIZER AMP", undoubtedly it's set to "ON" for use with your system.

To use your PL-12D you'll need an external RIAA preamp to apply the RIAA equalisation curve and amplify the signal to line level. These vary from "cheap and nasty" to "extremely good and very expensive" or you could build your own (as I have, the preamp in my seventies Marantz amp is rubbish.)

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Kat
Old 5th Jan 2008, 1:40 pm   #22
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Pioneer PL-12D turntable maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
Thanks for that Ben. I've got a replacement belt from eBay and it works fine. Only problem is, as Nick pointed out, I need an amplifier.

One question though:
In my front room I have an Aiwa Hi-Fi that I purchased in the 90's. It's an all-in-one unit with a Aiwa PX-E855 turntable on top - I removed the turntable and connected the Pioneer PL-12D turntable to it but even with the volume up quite high I only got a quiet output. My question is why does the Aiwa turntable play loudly but the Pioneer play quietly. Is there a 'pre-amp' somewhere in the Aiwa?

Thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt

You need to get an good quality amplifier (or tuner/amp) with a magnetic pickup input, Aiwi are as good as any, and a set of good quality speakers, the PL12 is capable of very good quality reproduction, a lucky find. Your present all in one doesn't sound as if it has a suitable magnetic input. (Magnetic cartridges give much lower output of a few millivolts but much higher quality than ceramic cartidges).

Geof
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 4:23 pm   #23
spikeo1
Retired Dormant Member

hi ,can anyone help me out with a copy of the user manual for the pioneer PL12D,also a copy of the service manual if possible. came across this a few weeks ago in good condition, but unused for a long time.i love retro ,and would like to give it the tlc,it daserves,many thanks mike.
Old 24th Mar 2008, 9:24 pm   #24
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeo1 View Post
hi ,can anyone help me out with a copy of the user manual for the pioneer PL12D,.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
vinylengine.com have a library of documentation, maybe the pioneer is there?
Ben.
Old 24th Mar 2008, 9:38 pm   #25
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have JPEG scans of the PL-12D service manual so if anyone needs a copy please send me a PM with your email address. The vinyl engine site doesn't have this manual but does have instruction manuals.

Howard
Old 25th Mar 2008, 10:49 pm   #26
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Hi Howard,

I've just bought one of these in it's original box !
The platter is siezed, but no probs, I'm lookg forward to getting it home and sorting it out

Dr. Dave
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:07 pm   #27
classicbuff
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Howard,

Can you send me the jpeg files of the PL-12 service manual please?

thanks!
javier

Last edited by Darren-UK; 18th Apr 2008 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Email address removed, please contact via PM or via the email link on members profile. Please read the forum rules!
Old 18th Apr 2008, 5:19 pm   #28
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicbuff View Post
Hi Howard,

Can you send me the jpeg files of the PL-12 service manual please?

thanks!
javier
Hello Javier,

Sure, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Howard
Old 19th Apr 2008, 8:57 am   #29
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've just purchased a Japanese built Audio Technica AT110E cartridge which I gather works particularly well in the PL12D turntable and has been around almost as long. Sadly Audio Technica no longer build these cartridges and they're becoming hard to find so if you want one, get one now.

I've completely forgotten how to mount and align a cartridge as I haven't fitted one for 20 odd years and I don't have a protractor now. However, I found this excellent website which has an assortment of downloadable protractors and loads of tips on how to fit cartridges ....

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...tractors.shtml

Howard
Old 27th Apr 2008, 2:48 pm   #30
unidyn1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Hello Javier,

Sure, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Howard
Ok, this sounds lame, but I cannot find a link to send you a PM or email directly. I've been through the FAQ and scoured all options on the thread. I just bought a Pioneer TT that I want to restore. Can you direct me to how to accomplish this or PM me (if you wouldn't mind)? Thank you!
Old 27th Apr 2008, 4:08 pm   #31
unidyn1
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry for the double post. I solved the problem noted in my previous post...won't bore you with the silly details, please excuse my ignorance
Old 27th May 2008, 10:47 pm   #32
tommygun
Retired Dormant Member

Howard, may i ask you for service manual (even in jpeg), please?
my email is (Removed by Moderator)
Thank You

Last edited by Darren-UK; 28th May 2008 at 12:10 am. Reason: Please contact via the email link on member(s) profile(s) or via username dropdown.
Old 28th May 2008, 8:18 am   #33
howard
Nonode

Hello Tommygun,

Yes I will send you scans of the PL-12D service manual, send me your Email address via a forum Private Message.

Howard
Old 13th Jun 2008, 12:23 am   #34
mothatthewindow
Retired Dormant Member

I've just acquired a PL-12D - 25€ and in good nick, apart from dead belt and cart. Latter even now winging their way towards me, I hope. I'd really appreciate a copy of the service manual too, if you've got one. I have the original manual in German and French, if anyone's interested.
Old 13th Jun 2008, 7:43 am   #35
howard
Nonode

Hello Matthew,

Send me a PM with your Email address and I will send you scans of the Service Manual.

Howard
Old 9th Jul 2008, 8:35 pm   #36
javier.perez
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Hello Tommygun,

Yes I will send you scans of the PL-12D service manual, send me your Email address via a forum Private Message.

Howard
Hi Howard. I'm looking for the instruction manual for the PL-12D also. Would you mind emailing me the scanned jpegs?
Old 10th Jul 2008, 8:19 pm   #37
howard
Nonode

Hello Javier,

Send me your Email address via a PM and I'll send it to you.

Howard
Old 12th Sep 2008, 9:50 am   #38
kerembasaran
Retired Dormant Member

hi everyone,

i have found one of these tables at a local hi-fi shop. i think i'll buy it today, it was in very good condition. it will be my first turntable. year 2008.

howard,
i could not find the pm facility in the forum. i'd very much appreciate if you could send me a copy of the service manual as well. i want to take good care of this turntable. though it seems like an extremely simple device.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 11:39 am   #39
howard
Nonode

Hello kerembasaran,

These turntables are very simple to maintain, there are two places marked on the deck where one simply applies a little light oil and that's it. The service manual is just a collection of exploded diagrams of the deck's components, and parts lists.

If you want a copy of it I will need your Email address which you can pass to me via a PM .... simply click on my name and then click on 'Send a private message to howard' on the drop down and you will be navigated to the private message page.

Howard
Old 13th Sep 2008, 10:39 pm   #40
kerembasaran
Retired Dormant Member

I've setup my gear yesterday. I've installed a Shure PM92E needle on it. For now I only have one crappy record and a Behringer PP400 for preamp so I will not comment on the sound quality. But the turntable is running great. It has no noise or speed variations. I thought I'd need a complete overhaul for it but it seems totally unnecessary.

Still I'd like the service manual if you can reach me through PM. As I said before, I can't PM and I can't write my email address here.

Thank you for your concern,

[IMG]http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/2788/img3816rp8.jpg http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/i...jpg/1/w640.png[/IMG]
Closed Thread