UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2018, 4:32 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Ril WW Resistors

Just been given a box full of high wattage WW Resistors. In amongst them were several Ril types. I've taken a picture of three of them - L to R - Type 42, Type 43 & Type 44.
The l/h one is designated "Ril Type 42", the middle one is a Rivlin Instruments Ltd Precision Resistor Type 43, & the r/h one is a hand written Ril 44. Google reveals that Rivlin made Inductive & non Inductive WW resistors. Other research reveals these 4 wire resistors can be used in a bridge format.
Quite frankly, I cant remember coming across them before. If they were used in T/Eq or other circuitry, I've never had to replace any.
Any info most welcome please ?

Regards, David

PS My apologies for picture's poor focus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ril Resistors.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	159400  

Last edited by David Simpson; 17th Mar 2018 at 4:34 pm. Reason: Picture quality
Old 17th Mar 2018, 4:56 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Ril WW Resistors

Have you tried using the macro setting on your camera, assuming it is a camera and not a phone?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 5:24 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

What tolerance are they?
I have seen 0.025% ones in test equipment that I own.
As Graham says a better photo would be good.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 5:37 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

Aye Graham,
I have made the effort, but it's a bit hit & miss. I use a Mintola digital camera which is now coming up 13 years old. It was 60th birthday present. So I guess the dual aging process, and usage, has maybe affected both the camera & myself. I'll maybe get it checked out at Jessops Aberdeen shop.(Whilst I visit Specsavers).

Regards, David

PS. Bye the way, I've just spoken with the chap who gave me the box of resistors this morning, & he says that, in turn, some years ago, he was originally given the box by a retired TV & Video shop owner who's retirement hobby was restoring vintage video equipment. However, he'd not used any Ril resistors himself. DS
Old 17th Mar 2018, 5:53 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Sensing....Kelvin configuration?

Lawrence.
Old 17th Mar 2018, 7:14 pm   #6
David Simpson
Nonode

I don't know about 0.025% tolerance, but some of the written resistances are either 0.015 ohms or 0.025 ohms. Tolerances on most are either written as 0.5% or 1.0%. The highest written resistance(on the black resin encapsulated type 43's) is 16.7 ohms. I've just the one resin enc. Type 42 & that is 0.025 ohms with 1.0% tol. The blue vitreous Type 44's are all 0.015 ohms with 1% tol.
The higher value ones seem to measure their resistances lengthwise, but at the ends they would seem to be less than 0.1 ohm between the wires. My cheapo RS LCR meter doesn't go below 0.1ohm. I'll maybe try my Marconi TF2700.

Regards, David
Old 17th Mar 2018, 7:32 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

You may find that the resistances of the resistors are somewhat higher than the printed amounts but the amount of that resistance which lies between the two sense wire pickoff points may be more accurate. If so then they would be current sensing items rather than precision resistors.

David
Old 18th Mar 2018, 12:23 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

They sound like they might be amps range shunts from something like an early multi meter.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 12:33 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

A local VMARS chum has suggested they might be used to compensate for metering lead resistance &/or shunt or multiplier lead resistance - for accurate calibration. Hence their low decimal point resistances.
For those resistors greater than 1 ohm - my cheapo RS LCR meter gets close-ish, but my AVO/Newlec DMM get much closer to 2 decimal points. Wish I hadn't flogged my Wayne Kerr B221 at times like this. An interesting wee exercise if nothing else.

Regards, David
Closed Thread