UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2018, 6:02 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default 30-lines in colour

I crave your indulgence. Now for something a little different.

Well, it is television... sort of! Obviously this sort of thing really belongs on the NBTVA Forum. Nevertheless I thought it might be of interest to some here.

Having done with the 120-line Mirror Screw, this year I've gone back to 30-lines. So I've just finished rebuilding my old Nipkow disc based colour monitor to give horizontal scan. Pictures attached.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grosvenor.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	158993   Click image for larger version

Name:	grosvenor-pics.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	158994  
Old 10th Mar 2018, 7:04 pm   #2
ianm
Hexode

Default Re: 30-lines in colour

Fantastic results. Love it!

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 10th Mar 2018, 7:49 pm   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

It is really very impressive. If Baird had used colour at an early stage of development he might have gained greater sway with his 30 line transmissions.

Peter
Old 10th Mar 2018, 8:15 pm   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Baird demonstrated colour in 1928, using a field sequential system; e.g. http://www.earlytelevision.org/baird...cal_color.html

What he didn't have were modern Luxeon LEDs for modulated coloured light sources. I believe he used gas discharge tubes. Since the single hole-at-a-time of the Nipkow Disc lets very little of the light through from behind, having a really brilliant light source helps greatly with obtaining a convincing result.

Steve
Old 10th Mar 2018, 8:53 pm   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Steve,
Wow! That is really something, what a beautiful machine, fantastic images.
Hugo.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 10:43 pm   #6
Panrock
Nonode

Thanks Hugo. I have the feeling that if you were to ever add NBTV to your range of activities, then we'd really see how it should be done!

Steve
Old 10th Mar 2018, 10:49 pm   #7
Nymrod121
Nonode

Steve, those images are incredible. Somewhere - far, far away in another invisible parallel universe, perhaps - the nebulous glow of energy that we would like to think of as John Logie-Baird's spirit is nodding approval
Guy
Old 11th Mar 2018, 10:59 am   #8
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Makes one wonder what can perhaps be done with a beefy 3-colour led, and some fairly simple (by today's standards) logic circuitry? Tony.
Old 11th Mar 2018, 11:14 am   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

What a great result. I am in awe of your skill.

Tony
Old 11th Mar 2018, 11:47 am   #10
Panrock
Nonode

Thanks Tony, but of course, judging from your books, the reality is the other way round!

This televisor is actually rather bloated and ugly, with 'gratuitous' shoulders added for mere effect. But then that's always been my sort of thing. It's also extremely heavy!

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 11th Mar 2018 at 12:07 pm.
Old 11th Mar 2018, 4:32 pm   #11
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations for your nice results. I am been myself involved in mechanical television time ago and got excellent results with my large nipkow disc for 60 lines prototype. Hereafter I put photo of this machine I sold time ago to a museum in Norway.
The ETF web site kindly still host my mechanical workshop machines.
At one time I have been proud to submit to Malcom Baird my reproduction of John Baird's Televisor . He like very much..
Best regards,
Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nipkow-front.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	159052   Click image for larger version

Name:	nipkow-back.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	159053   Click image for larger version

Name:	jlbaird2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	159059  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 4:48 pm   #12
Panrock
Nonode

Welcome Roger! Your many achievements in NBTV are well known and few of us will ever be able to match your knowledge or standard of construction.

You will see my mirror screw has much better definition than the 30-line pictures I have shown above. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELk4DmqwNms

All the best,

Steve
Old 11th Mar 2018, 5:57 pm   #13
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

I am impressed by your mirror screw color images. You did a real excellent job!
On myself, I spent lot of time trying to get acceptable results with my 60 lines mirror screw prototype.Unfortunately, I was lacking of appropriate tools to make the accurate mirrors adjustment. That is the most critical thing to do with that machine.
Here after photo of my 60 lines mirror screw.
Keep doing the good work Steve !
Best regards,
Roger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	miroir-coffretopn.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	159066   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror-adjust.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	159067  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 6:10 pm   #14
Panrock
Nonode

Yes, critical adjustment of the mirror slat angles is a difficult problem. For my 60-line screw, I made a special tool from a long-jawed mole grip (with screw adjustment) to 'click' adjacent slats into the correct position with respect to each other.

For 120-lines, even this wasn't sufficient. So I used an electronic correction box very kindly developed and constructed by Karen O.

Steve
Old 12th Mar 2018, 12:54 pm   #15
Aerodyne
Octode

At the risk of repeating myself, the ability of the members of this forum never ceases to amaze and, frankly, rather humble me. I don't think I've ever been in danger of becoming swollen headed but should the risk arise, I'd only need to look at the contributions of Steve, Roger and others to come back down to reality with a bump.
The video link is very addictive...

Tony
Old 12th Mar 2018, 2:38 pm   #16
Panrock
Nonode

It has been shown on this forum before, but if the mods will permit, it might be useful to describe what you're actually seeing in that video, for the device producing the picture is whizzing round and effectively invisible. A close-up of how it is constructed is attached here.

The mirror screw consists of a stack of slats bearing reflective edges. It's the edges that do the actual work. Each one handles one line of the picture. The slats are stacked so each one sits at a slight angle with respect to its neighbours. This results in a staggered arrangement, looking like a large corkscrew.

When a 'line of light', perpendicular to the slats, is seen reflected in one of them - a single spot of light is the result. Rotating this 'screw' of staggered slats then results in the spot of light tracing out a raster. Modulate the light with video, synchronise the screw's motion to the video source, and you get a picture!

When watching television on a working mirror screw, you look directly at it and the television picture looks as if it lies deep within, as far behind the screw as the line of light is in front. This effect is actually quite pleasant. It certainly is a different way of watching television!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror screw close up.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	159119  
Old 13th Mar 2018, 12:02 pm   #17
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

One difficulty is also to find a linear source to light equally each mirror edge.
After various try I finally use a led ramp with some plastic rod as magnifier.
The second photo show a prototype with tri-color (rgb) leds and monocolor to choose for, by turning the led assembly.
R.D.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0947.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	159150   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1059.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	159151  

Last edited by rogerdup; 13th Mar 2018 at 12:04 pm. Reason: complement of information on photos
Old 13th Mar 2018, 12:42 pm   #18
Panrock
Nonode

Yes Roger, I too used lines of LEDs.

For colour, I originally used a frosted acrylic mixing rod. Later on, I was able to dispense with this and used adjacent rows of bare red, green and blue LEDs, with special lenticular film to smear the separate LED 'dots' into true lines. This was a much more efficient arrangement and the colour convergence between the lines was handled by Karen O's Timing Corrector.

The LED lines are now so bright they are probably dangerous to look at directly.

Steve
Old 13th Mar 2018, 3:06 pm   #19
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Interesting, good work Steve!
Closed Thread