UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2015, 6:31 pm   #21
Daimlernut
Triode

Default Re: HRO Snr Early Model

OK Peter your comments are duly noted and absolutely right I will do the minimum I can cosmetically, the only problem with the coils (yes all stamped G227) is that the wrinkling of the Perspex windows is excessive and you cant read the graphs properly plus it looks awful. Alan
Old 11th Oct 2015, 6:43 pm   #22
Daimlernut
Triode

G6Tanuki - Yes I intend to fix and use it its just that I wont start drastically stripping and painting as I have done on previous restorations such as the Cossor 339 Oscilloscope that I showed on here recently. Alan
Old 11th Oct 2015, 8:53 pm   #23
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimlernut View Post
... the only problem with the coils (yes all stamped G227) is that the wrinkling of the Perspex windows is excessive and you can't read the graphs properly plus it looks awful.
Radioboulevard states:

"Chart-Graph Plastic Covers - Nearly always these plastic covers have wrinkled and yellowed. ... If I have to replace a poor condition plastic cover I use the plastic material from the really cheap picture frames ... is just the right thickness and pliability of the original covers. Use the metal chart-graph frame as a template to cut the plastic to the same exterior size as the frame. Use a hot soldering iron with a "pencil tip" to make the mounting holes in the plastic. Just hold the plastic to the frame and push the hot soldering iron through the frame hole and you'll end up with proper size and location mounting holes.

"For the plastic cover on the logging charts, I use a slightly thicker and harder plastic found on other "not-so-cheap" picture frames. It's still very thin plastic but a little more rigid. This plastic can be sanded with 400 grit alu-oxide paper (go in just one direction when sanding) to make the surface look matte or semi-transparent. ... When mounted, the logging chart is easy to read and the plastic cover can be written on with a pencil. If the "cheap-o" picture frames can't be located, check stationary stores ... for plastic dividers or plastic envelope document protectors. Also, some vacuum molded containers for pastry items can be used."

Making the hole with a pencil-tip soldering iron is a good idea as is sanding the plastic for the right-hand logging chart.

Unusual to find that the original coils have stayed with the receiver - most HROs come with a collection of 'orphans'.

- Peter
Old 12th Oct 2015, 12:20 pm   #24
Daimlernut
Triode

Peter, Thanks for the info I do have some plastic sheet similar thickness to the original which I used previously for an FB-7 which has the graph on the front I will replace and keep the originals. Yes the original coils 4 of them all marked G227 very unusual and the alignment screws almost pristine so not too much realignment since 1935. Alan
Closed Thread