UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2015, 9:34 pm   #1
QWENIX
Pentode

Default FAZssb converter, B40 and Radiospectroscope HTC-4701

Hello just to show you what keeps the Dutch Murphy Community off streets.

First a link to the FAZ restoration connectors sockets and plugs. I helped this guy with the plugs, sockets assembling orientation and original wire. Now this Faz is running again. And back to its original looks.

http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=202997

Next a very rare radiospectroscope built especially by Van der Heem ordered by the Dutch Royal Navy. This radiospecroscope HTC-4701 is specially built for a modified (by the royal navys electronics service department) B40. Ive been looking for almost ten years or more for this piece of equipment. It looks like a oscilloscope/networkanalyser but will show all transmitters signals within 100kHZ + and- aside the tuned frequency. So tuned on 7100 KHz it will show all between 7000 and 7200 kHZ max .... I will be back on this subject as soon as this 44kgs beast comes alive.

http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=201776

best regards

Qwenix
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:51 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: FAZssb converter, B40 and Radiospectroscope HTC-4701

I quite like the RA117/MA79 pair with matching accoutrements.

David
Old 1st Oct 2015, 11:07 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

That radio spectroscope is an intriguing device, I hope that the tube is in good order.

For some reason, "gravity well" comes to mind looking at that stack of B40s and RA17s....
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 6:59 am   #4
QWENIX
Pentode

I saw that radiospectroscope on a secondhand site. It was for sale by a radio amateur who lives very close (lets say 20 minutes drive: neighbour) to my friend murphy collector (also radioamateur) as well. So this murphy collector became my eyes and ears on a 120 miles distance. My friend told me to go for the deal. So some surplus racal stuff was swapped. And in the end everybody satisfied with the deal. It really was a win win situation because my friend has a new nice "neighbour".

The radiospectroscope is very very very rare. Counting all the seriesnumbers "van der heem" must have produced about max 30 pieces. I now know 4 owners in Holland.
The CRT should be ok. Havent fired it up yet.

See this link: http://www.vanderheem.info/htc-4701.html
Old 5th Oct 2015, 12:05 pm   #5
QWENIX
Pentode

Pieces of wire soldered on the outside from the sockets were removed so that the right plugs could be used. Took the variac and a glowing bulb 60W in line to take up possible shortcicuit currents. Connected the radiospectroscope on to it. Result: the CRT is in working order. Checking the antenna input: connected a spring used as antenna and took a piece of aluminium and rubbed it against the antenna. Result showed big amplitudes. So this thing is general in working order.

The B40B is also in working order but as many times the Afgain pot should be replaced as there is no posibility to rotate the knob.
Closed Thread