UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2015, 9:47 pm   #21
malcolm.page
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: R1155. DF Valve BL63/CV1102/VR102

I have some EF50 and A1820(CV409) which I think were used in the 1155 if any use to anyone.
Old 28th Sep 2015, 10:07 pm   #22
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

This evening I had a rummage about in my valve storage and this turned up.

Please send me an e-mail if you are still interested Graham, remember the valve has to be packed and posted from Norway so I do not know how this compares to other sources of supply.

Mine is in the original carton and appears to be unused, have no means of testing it though. Hopefully the thumnail is discernable.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VR102.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	113598  
Old 30th Sep 2015, 1:57 pm   #23
BottleMan
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinganode View Post
Hi Graham, I think I've just found one in my box of octal randoms.
Thanks, Rob. I'll take you up on your offer.
I'll PM the details
Old 30th Sep 2015, 2:10 pm   #24
BottleMan
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Thomas View Post
Please send me an e-mail if you are still interested Graham, remember the valve has to be packed and posted from Norway so I do not know how this compares to other sources of supply.
Thanks, but I've taken up the previous offer. If you don't need it try e-Bay.

Graham
Old 30th Sep 2015, 11:03 pm   #25
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

I wasn't thinking of getting rid of it to some audiophile to make a profit on e-Bay Graham I have put it back into my storage until next time someone is restoring another R1155 to its former glory

I think I purchased mine for some other piece of Military surpluss equipment but cannot remember what offhand.

Tony
Old 1st Oct 2015, 8:45 am   #26
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

"I think I purchased mine for some other piece of Military surplus equipment but cannot remember what offhand"
I'd love to know what that was - I have never heard of any other equipment where this valve was used, which seems astonishing.
Andy
Old 1st Oct 2015, 9:53 am   #27
Radio Wrangler

Given that the R1155 was seen as a cheap disposable (sadly) item, I can't see a special valve being created for it, so all the bottles in it probably had a previous use, though in something now much rarer than an R1155.

I've wondered about that top cap. An octal base has plenty of connections, so I wonder if getting enough wires through the pinch was the issue. 6SN7 showed that it could be done well. Maybe there was an application needing low capacitance to other electrodes for even one of the grid connections?

It cost money to develop that valve, and people have always had a preference for symmetry, so going against it needs a reason.

David
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:27 am   #28
glowinganode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleMan View Post
Thanks, Rob. I'll take you up on your offer.
I'll PM the details
Dispatched this morning RM 2nd class, should be with you in the next few days.
Don't worry about payment, stick a couple of quid in the tin when they start collecting for the Poppy appeal.

Cheers, Rob.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 11:00 am   #29
BottleMan
Tetrode

Very generous of you, Rob. I'll use some epoxy adhesive on the base; I've done it before. Progress report in due course.

Graham
Old 1st Oct 2015, 2:02 pm   #30
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Given that the R1155 was seen as a cheap disposable (sadly) item, I can't see a special valve being created for it, so all the bottles in it probably had a previous use, though in something now much rarer than an R1155.
Something I'd puzzled on- perhaps the nascent fields of video, radio compasses (lovely quaint term) or radar had call for such a valve- clamp/cathode follower, monostables, buffer/driver. It would have needed to be a professional-type application with internal screening and top cap, if it had a larger-scale consumer application in radios/radiogram amps someone here would surely have put their hand up. Perhaps a trawl through Marconi's mid/late 'thities activities would reveal a reason for it to catch the R1155 designer's eye.
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 4:37 pm   #31
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
"I think I purchased mine for some other piece of Military surplus equipment but cannot remember what offhand"
I'd love to know what that was - I have never heard of any other equipment where this valve was used, which seems astonishing.
So would I Andy, cannot for the life of me remember, anyway I have one new VR102 in my collection
Closed Thread