UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2012, 10:11 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Hart Electronics - Do they still exist?

Hart Electronics used to supply cassette record/play heads, complete cassette mechanisms, and various kits. They were based in Shropshire, but I've lost their full address. Are they still in business, and if so, does anyone know their contact details, please?
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:37 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hart Electronics - Do they still exist?

Sorry, I think that they're no longer trading. They used to be in Oswestry, by the way.

Regrettably, you'll find cassette heads almost impossible to source these days, as all the usual suppliers say they're no longer available.

Good luck though.

Nick.
Old 22nd May 2012, 1:31 pm   #3
llama
Octode

I don't know what standard of fidelity you're after, but the mechanism/heads in your average radio/CD/tape ghetto-blaster is often virtually unused. Normally given away on FreeCycle/Freegle when the CD player gets temperamental...
Graham
Old 22nd May 2012, 4:01 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just found this, though I couldn't get the link to work (on my flakey mobile broadand connection that I have to use at work):

Williams Hart Electronics
English provider of high quality kits & components, ranging from RIAA preamps to loudspeaker systems, the company is an amalgam of Hart Audio Kits company and the Williams speaker manufacturer and is one of the few high quality kit manufacturers left in the world although much of their products are now sold fully built. Note that some older Hart products seem to have been sold with the Audio Design trademark. --
Official homepage.
Old 22nd May 2012, 6:03 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere useful!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd May 2012, 8:03 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It might be worth trying this phone number.
Hart certainly used to be based at Penylan Mill years ago (I remember going there), but I'd be very surprised if the above record dates back that far. Perhaps the original proprietor has gone solo again?
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:07 pm   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Nick, I've just tried the Williams Hart link. All it reveals is an otherwise blank page with 'williamshart.com' in large red letters! I may check the phone no in dseymo 1's link in the morning. My main reason for wanting to contact them is to see if a suitable cassette mechanism to replace a faulty one in a NAD6020C is available. To this end I've also posted a request in the 'sets & parts wanted' section
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:13 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would have thought repair of the old one would be the most sensible option here. What's wrong with it? (New thread if need be, of course).

Nick.
Old 23rd May 2012, 8:49 am   #9
dolphin
Diode

The proprietor of Hart Electronics retired quite a few years ago and sold his name, plus a few kits, to what is now Williams Hart Electronics.

I don't know what mechanism is used in the 6020 but I do have a virtually unused mechanism (+ service manual) for the 6140 which I no longer need if that's any help. But I think that it may be quite different as it is solenoid operated rather than the direct mechanical buttons which the 6020 appears to have.

Max
Old 23rd May 2012, 7:50 pm   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Hart Electronics - Do they still exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I would have thought repair of the old one would be the most sensible option here. What's wrong with it? (New thread if need be, of course).

Nick.
Nick, some time ago I replaced the drive belts(using 'off the shelf' types from CPC), cleaned the heads, guides, pinch-roller, etc., but(from memory)there is a speed stability problem. I shall have to put it back on the bench and check it again, but I know it wasn't right!
Closed Thread