UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2018, 10:04 am   #1
Apusapus
Triode

Default Garrard SP25 MKII turntable....specifically cartridge

Hello.

I've just picked up ( to add to my collection) a nice looking old Garrard SP25 mkll turntable.
I'm aware that these are (in the words of many)basic entry level turntables, however I would like to get it set up and working nicely.
It all seems to run very well, however it's not coming through particularly clear on one channel, it's a tad quieter and crackly, therefore I'm starting by improving the original cartridge, I've read on older threads that an Audio Technica AT91 cartridge should be a decent update, could somebody just confirm this, also I've noticed on Amazon that I could also purchase a new headshell fitted with the AT91 cartridge, am I being a tad daft! To think that this would simply screw on, where the old one was, on the end of the original tonearm.
Thanks
Old 19th Mar 2018, 11:07 am   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: Garrard SP25 MKII turntable....specifically cartridge

The socket on the end of the tonearm does have an SME fitting, but the Garrard headshell is angled, so putting a normal straight SME headshell on it will result in a dire tracking error, and you probably won't have enough adjustment in the arm mechanism for the auto trip to work. The crackling might be due to poor contacts at the arm/ headshell interface and within the springy contacts in the arm
Old 19th Mar 2018, 11:19 am   #3
paulsherwin

An AT91 will be fine. Fitting it is a bit fiddly but not difficult. I agree that a different headshell isn't a good idea unless you understand exactly what you're buying.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 1:20 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You don't say what type of cartridge is currently fitted, so we are all assuming the new replacement will be a Moving Magnet type.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 9:46 pm   #5
jamesperrett
Octode

Personally I would try swapping the channel connections on the back of the existing cartridge first to check that the problem really does lie with the cartridge. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it isn't the cartridge causing the problem (assuming it is a moving magnet cartridge).
Old 20th Mar 2018, 12:28 am   #6
Apusapus
Triode

The current "old" cartridge has on the side "GP93-1", I'm not a professional however looking closely at the back, (where the connectors are) it looks as if it may have been previously tampered with.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 1:51 am   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

That GP93-1 is a crystal cartridge and may well be duff.

Its output level is much higher than a moving magnet cartridge and needs a high impedance high level input amplifier. Magnetic cartridges need an amplifier with a medium impedance low level RIAA corrected input- the typical "phono" input of a '70s onward "hifi" amplifier.

Hope this isn't teaching granny........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Mar 2018, 8:34 am   #8
Apusapus
Triode

Thanks for this information, so (with my limited knowledge) should I assume that by fitting a magnetic cartridge (such as the AT91) the unit should function OK, (assuming there are no other gremlins I've yet to discover).
Old 20th Mar 2018, 9:19 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Ahh, now we know more. What kind of amplifier do you intend using the SP25 with? Does it have a "Phono" input or just "Aux/Line In"?
Old 20th Mar 2018, 10:17 am   #10
Apusapus
Triode

Phono inputs. I've a collection of oldish amps primarily from the late 60's and 70's.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:09 am   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Then these will be suitable to connect to a Moving Magnet cartridge such as the AT91.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 11:02 am   #12
Apusapus
Triode

Back to this turntable, the new cartridge has been fiited, (arrived yesterday) AT91, however ..now..cannot get any sound at all through AMP, ( well incredibly faint, if volume wound right up) but my suspicions are now being drawn to the cable (s) which connect it to the amp, (phono leads) all the other Garrard sp25 mk1, ive recently looked at, have 5 pin Din plugs, fitted, mine, has what now looks like somebodys attempt to convert this turntable to phono leads, im suspecting this could be also causing some of these "Gremlins" is it reasonably easy (straightforward) to attempt to refit the (what I believe it should have) a 5 pin din plug, ...if I am able to source one?
Old 24th Mar 2018, 12:01 pm   #13
GeoffK
Heptode

The Shure M75ED worked very well with the Garrard SP25 MKII, tracking at 1.25 gram.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 12:17 pm   #14
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

5-pin DIN Plugs and sockets are still readily available, as are leads already fitted with 5-pin DIN plugs, but I know of no reason why correctly wired RCA (Phono) plugs cannot be used with the SP25 MK1. I would first check that they are wired correctly, i.e. if soldered at the deck end, that the inner cores go to the cartridge output leads, and the screens to the common negative (ground) terminal. Also check the leads for continuity, both the inners and the screens. However the thought occurs that, because the AT91 is a moving magnet, a.k.a. Magnetic Cartridge it must be connected to the dedicated Magnetic Cartridge (sometimes called 'Phono') inputs of your amplifier. The output of a typical Mag. cart. is around 3-5mV, which needs a load of 47k, whereas a 'Line' input (Aux, Tape,Tuner, etc.) needs at least 200-300mV. (refer to Chris (Herald 1360)'s notes in post # 7, and Edward's notes in post # 9) Most vintage amps. will have a dedicated 'phono' input, but if your's don't, a Magnetic Cartridge Pre-Amplifier will be needed. These are available from, among other sources, eBay and, if they still have stocks, Maplin.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 6:08 pm   #15
david freeman
Hexode

I don’t think that the Shure M75ED2 would be a good match for the high friction, high mass Garrard SP25 arm. This unit struggled to to track at 2 gms and wasn’t designed for high compliance, low tracking weight cartridges. The best match Shure cartridge for the SP25 mk2 was the M75B which was often fitted to this model, as was the Goldring G800 back in the day.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 6:12 pm   #16
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I always felt the SP25s were happiest when using a Sonotone 9TA/HC or a Decca Deram. The deck was really intended for just the best ceramic cartridges.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 12:23 am   #17
Cobaltblue

ISTR the ACOS GP104 was also a common choice on this deck.

It was certainly the cartridge fitted to a couple of budget systems I purchased in the early to mid 1970's

Cheers

Mike T
Old 25th Mar 2018, 12:29 am   #18
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I always felt the SP25s were happiest when using a Sonotone 9TA/HC or a Decca Deram. The deck was really intended for just the best ceramic cartridges.
Sorry Edward but I beg to differ. I only ever heard SP25 decks with the likes of G800 and Shure mag cartrdiges and they always worked very well. The SP25 along with the BSR MP60 was the budget deck of choice until the Pioneer PL12D changed the rules.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 1:59 am   #19
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm no expert re player/cartridge combinations etc but I equate these decks with say, the 4000 series of reel to reel tape decks ie supposedly "basic" but clever and still in use now. As a consumer [at the time] you saw the advantage of finally getting something that was not only acceptable but actually built "up" to an attainable price-very important then when it was a big jump to something supposedly superior. The SP 25 has a lot of fans and is still good value [even if you get one for free].

Dave W
Old 25th Mar 2018, 9:22 am   #20
Andrew2
Nonode

I always thought that while well-engineered, the SP25 MkII was a little 'heavy' and clunky for the posher cartridges. Mine seemed happiest with the sturdy Shure M3D or the M55, and of the ceramic cartridges the 9TAHC was the best.