UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2018, 4:44 pm   #1
JanWra1
Tetrode

Default AR88 - What has happened and how to cure it?

Hi guys

Following the advise of many on this forum I have started to renovate the infamous oil filled triple capacitors starting with the 2 on the front side, i.e. C103,106 and c107 (1:st attempt) which was a success, then moving on to C71,C95 and C102, here I managed to let C102 get to close to the case of the AF-gain which I didn't notice at first. Simultaneously I hade removed and refitted C119 to check what kind it is (Aerovox 0,003 MFD 1000 V) When refitting there was an excess of solder closing the gap between pins 3 and 4 on V11 (6V6GT) but not a solid closure.
When starting the radio there was just a hum from the speaker but the S-Meter indicated that the radio received signals as I scanned the bands.
Turned off the radio and started to look for problems where I hade been working and found both shorts.
Then turned it on again and now there was noise on all bands and the S-meter was going up and down s I scanned the bands, the noise increased with increased value on the S-meter - BUT no readable sound - neither talk, music or CW could be identified.
Tried to replace V10 and V11 but it didn't help.

Any idea what to look for next anyone?

Jan
Old 19th Mar 2018, 6:32 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: AR88 - What has happened and how to cure it?

If you have a noise (as in lack of aerial type noise) than the delicate o/put transformer is ok,however I think you have made a wiring error somewhere.

Just a thought try headphones.

Last edited by HamishBoxer; 19th Mar 2018 at 6:52 pm.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 8:16 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

Make sure that the noise limiter is switched off, too- it's pretty good at removing all modulation at maximum setting!
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:37 am   #4
JanWra1
Tetrode

It's alive again! Have replaced R30 with a new 10W resistor of 2.5K, the old one had a value of 1.3 K. It worked before with the 1.3 k resistor so I don't know why the change fixed it - anyway it's up and running again and have just enjoyed an hour of Radio Scotland at 810 Khz.
Jan
Closed Thread