UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2018, 10:11 am   #41
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: Shoe box versus Cloud Storage

I'm always dubious about cloud storage. I don't see why Google et al should be able to get their hands on my pesonal stuff. On the other hand; I have my own personal website with unlimited storage and I upload stuff to that. I assume the hosting provider will deal with backups for the forseeable future. That may not be true as anyone who remembers Geocities will testify but at least I pay for my storage so there is some hope.

As for digital storage, I have a collection of old floppy drives just in case I ever need to read an ancient disk. Even so I have a commercial DVD of some magazines which uses a forgotten format which no-one is able to decode anymore. The company that produced it has disappeared. If you want to archive stuff digitally you need to make regular transfers to modern media.

I have a box of photos my father took in India during the war. They are just as good as the day he took them and unless I want to e-mail them somewhere I don't need digital copies.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:24 am   #42
MrBungle
Dekatron

Never trust a hosting company with backups. They are the worst from experience.

Also let's not forget this: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-cut-microsoft

And by association, https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...14/email.yahoo
Old 20th Mar 2018, 1:40 pm   #43
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've read something recently about increased capability in terms of solid state storage ie producing a "Hard Drive" without any moving parts to wear out, be corrupted or misaligned. Does this seem viable and would it be subject to drawbacks? Or am I making it all up

Dave W
Old 20th Mar 2018, 2:43 pm   #44
MrBungle
Dekatron

You're right. SSDs are around in force now. I don't have any computers without them. They are faster and more physically robust but not necessarily better for long term storage. They have merely a different set of problems. It's a good trade off if you want speed though which makes the largest difference to the end user.

A few problems they suffer with:

1. Cell leakage. Each SSD cell encodes a number of bits based on the amount of charge stored in each cell (using the water analogy, think of each cell as a bucket of water). Really expensive SSDs the bucket is either full or empty so any leakage is insignificant. As cost goes down, the bucket has many more states of fullness which leads to reduced cost and greater error. At the bottom end, slow leakage of electrons away from the cells can actually cause bits to flip. This limits 99.999% reliable storage retention to just over 2 years (yes it's that low) on consumer TLC drives.

2. The cells wear out. Eventually the cells degrade in charge storage ability due to the above and migration.

3. Software problems. This is much more of a short term problem. SSDs have a complex embedded computer and program in them that manages wear leveling i.e decommissioning cells which are due to wear out etc and moving the data around. These have historically been buggy as hell and resulted in problems. Less of a problem now fortunately! Also this software uses the SSD itself to store its information on so it can shoot itself or a prematurely failed cell can take the entire drive out instantly and irrecoverably.

Your SSD will withstand heavy physical abuse and a right hammering in the short term but if you put it on the shelf for 10 years and come back, you might be surprised to find it doesn't work any more or some files aren't how you left them. We've had this for drives less than 5 years old before.

DLT (Digital Linear Tape) is the only medium there is any long term storage data for at the moment. That has a shelf life of about 30 years.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 2:46 pm   #45
emeritus
Dekatron

,Still advisible to make multiple backups. By the late 1970's device sizes has got so small that the logical state of the cells of some types of solid state memory could be flipped by the release of electrons caused by the passage of a cosmic ray through silicon. Electronics for use in space has to be radiation-hardened to cope with this sort of thing.

The copies of the programs I wrote on punch cards and paper tape in the 1960's are still in perfect condition, but such media are hardly practical for the volume of data we need to store these days.

Last edited by emeritus; 20th Mar 2018 at 2:56 pm. Reason: )
Old 20th Mar 2018, 2:57 pm   #46
MrBungle
Dekatron

IBM 1360 is a good compromise
Old 20th Mar 2018, 5:37 pm   #47
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Ok thanks for those responses and the "primer" Mr B! I thought it might be too good to be true in storage terms but maybe later? We've not quite reached the first Superman film yet [where everything is embedded in coloured crystals but maybe not Kryptonite]. Don't get the idea that I've got any time for the current crop of comic hero films though On a previous thread one chap recommended a hammer and chisel to put coding onto granite but that was long term in the wrong way. Working on the basis that more advanced systems are always around for a long time before they come on the market [eg the Stealth Fighter] it makes you wonder what's running at the moment?

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 20th Mar 2018 at 5:48 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2018, 5:54 pm   #48
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

It occurs to me that for archival purposes data might be stored as a glass hologram. Is there any such practical technology?
Old 20th Mar 2018, 6:47 pm   #49
MrBungle
Dekatron

University of Southampton is already working on it!

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2...ge-update.page

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Ok thanks for those responses and the "primer" Mr B! I thought it might be too good to be true in storage terms but maybe later? We've not quite reached the first Superman film yet [where everything is embedded in coloured crystals but maybe not Kryptonite]. Don't get the idea that I've got any time for the current crop of comic hero films though On a previous thread one chap recommended a hammer and chisel to put coding onto granite but that was long term in the wrong way. Working on the basis that more advanced systems are always around for a long time before they come on the market [eg the Stealth Fighter] it makes you wonder what's running at the moment?

Dave
Best solution is use both. Use SSD and back it up weekly onto mechanical desk (spinning rust!). That covers both bases. Go fast and safe at the same time, at most risking a week of data loss (which is quite unlikely). I throw my SSDs and HDDs onto ebay every 2 years and buy new ones but my reliability requirements may be above others' as no computer is no food for me.

Most embedded systems of that class are running static RAM, mask programmed ROMs etc. I did a little bit of work in that sector for a bit and some of it really is 1980s grade computing. When I left in 2002 they were just about starting to build on PowerPC which was 1993 tech. 10-15 years behind the curve always.
Closed Thread