UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2018, 4:11 pm   #21
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Rabbit - the almost mobile telephone of bygone times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Andy, I mentioned Keith, G3RTU and his involvement with CT2 phones in the thread that split into this one. It that who you are referring to above?
Graham - I am acquainted with Keith RTU, but it wasn't him who gave me the Zonephone. It was Ian, a G7xxx, and I'm blowed if I can recall his full callsign now. 'Twas a long time ago!
Old 19th Mar 2018, 5:42 pm   #22
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember one of the IT technicians at my college had a Rabbit phone with a base station, he could be paged by pressing a button on it.

IIRC when Hutchinson Telecom launched Orange they offered a discount if you were an existing Rabbit customer.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 8:21 pm   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, there is a button on the base station, unsurprisingly labelled "page". Its operation of the ringer should be distinguishable from an incoming call as it rings continuously until the button is released.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 12:50 am   #24
m0cemdave
Octode

The frequencies used by the Rabbit system were later re-purposed for licence-free radio microphones, commonly referred to as Channel 70.

The base station aerials (a short white stick co-linear with a TNC connector, made by Racal) used to turn up at radio rallies, mis-sold by a dodgy trader as "wideband scanner antennas". I still have a couple for use with radio mics and they work very well.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 8:28 am   #25
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Now that has potential for embarrassment if my Rabbiting were to end up being broadcast with the karaoke in the local pub! I suppose the first thing to test is how far from home I can roam with the handset and still communicate with the base station - then make discreet enquiries about any radio microphones used in the village's pubs and clubs.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:15 am   #26
Andrew2
Nonode

As an inveterate nosey-parker, I like to listen around the less-used parts of the spectrum and 864/5 MHz comes alive in the evenings with baby alarms and wireless headphone signals. Last night someone was watching 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in', something I hadn't heard since it was originally shown.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 7:22 pm   #27
Jonster
Heptode

It's a digital signal so no chance of you being overheard on a radio mic receiver.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 8:56 am   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, I have since realised that.

By the way, a quick test showed that the signal degraded quite rapidly as I moved away from my house anyway. Two-foot-thick stone walls are probably a contributory factor in this!