UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2007, 9:00 pm   #21
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1970's Ferguson 3R05 - Aerial Needed

Thanks Nick,

Yeah this radio repair thing sort of appeals to me. My grandfather used to repair old radios and TVs (when they werent old back then ).

Radio : 50p from a car boot sale
New aerial : £1 Cannibalised from a TV aerial from Poundland

Having a funky 70s radio that isnt a reproduction and cost £1:50 in total...

Priceless

- Dan
Old 30th Aug 2007, 1:04 am   #22
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Another car boot sale on this weekend.

- Dan
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:49 am   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

You'd better start clearing some space
Old 30th Aug 2007, 12:04 pm   #24
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I dont know I might buy another radio but its having the space. I collect CDs (Specifically compilation albums like the Now thats what I call music series and basically anything else) and the cd collection is starting to get rediculous after being exposed to people selling 6 double albums for £1 at car bootys. I have a spare computer setup at a jukebox with a piece of software called SK Jukebox (Freeware) which is great because you can stick it on random.

I wouldnt mind and early 70's set which I know are alot bigger/heavier if it was in reasonable nick and for the right price. Anyone know of any nice 70's transistor sets to look out for? Any brands that are of a really high quality etc?

- Dan
Old 30th Aug 2007, 12:09 pm   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Dan,

You'd better start a new thread for this query, as it's nothing to do with the original one (3R05 aerial), which means that the moderators will close this one at any minute.

Nick.

P.S. Try doing a search here for "Hacker"
Old 30th Aug 2007, 7:55 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I wonder what the date (if any) on Paul's service data is?
It isn't dated. It has a code 581 on the back which could mean May 81 but probably doesn't.

Although it is newer than most of my other data I will scan it in full for the email service and the next CD/DVD-ROM.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Aug 2007, 8:17 pm   #27
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

I looked for something that indicated a build date when I opened the radio up and found nothing. I didn't remove the PCB though. Even the model number is only on a sticker in the battery compartment.

It has already been mentioned in this thread that someone has seen a radio built by Ferguson in the late 70s which had the same handle. I was born in 1983, So I was a small child in the 80's and have seen 80's style appliances and to me this doesnt look like 80's style.

Id agree that it looks like a late 70's radio rather than an early 70's radio after looking at other example. Im not expert by no means but when I bought it I instantly thought 70s radio...its the style of it it just looks 1970s to me.

- Dan
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:05 pm   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice one Dan, this radio does have similiar styling to my mid 1970's ITT Colt seen here.
http://www.vintage-radio.com/manufac...c-trannie.html
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:05 pm   #29
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
It has already been mentioned in this thread that someone has seen a radio built by Ferguson in the late 70s which had the same handle. I was born in 1983, So I was a small child in the 80's and have seen 80's style appliances and to me this doesnt look like 80's style.
That fake wood grille style was used by many manufacturers throughout the 70s and into the 80s, when it fell out of favour and manufacturers went for a more 'techie' black plastic look. The rounded edges put it in the early 80s though, so 80-81 may be plausible. The fact that it's not marked 'FM' points to the the early 80s at the latest.

There's still lots of 70s stuff around for little money if you're keen on it.

Paul
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:10 pm   #30
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Paul (Sherwin),

I think you have the very same Ferguson as the one I referred to in post #16 [1970s silver & black mains/battery set, rotary tone control on left followed by 5 pushbuttons then a sliding volume control and finally the tuning knob on the right]. What's the model number of that?

Dan,

Where's the set made? Taiwan by any chance?

Nick.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:20 pm   #31
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Paul (Sherwin),

I think you have the very same Ferguson as the one I referred to in post #16 [1970s silver & black mains/battery set, rotary tone control on left followed by 5 pushbuttons then a sliding volume control and finally the tuning knob on the right]. What's the model number of that?
3188, made in Taiwan. It's not just an earlier version of the 3R05 though, since it has the controls and tuning scale on the top, and covers the 49M SW band. It only tunes to 104MHz which is correct for a mid 70s set, though the FM band is marked 'FM'

Paul
Old 30th Aug 2007, 9:26 pm   #32
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It's not just an earlier version of the 3R05 though...
I didn't really think it was, just that it had what looks like an identical style of handle

The 3188 is listed in the 1978-9 volume of R&TVS.

Nick.
Old 30th Aug 2007, 10:11 pm   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

According to the front page of the service data the 3R05 is made in Korea.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 31st Aug 2007, 12:08 am   #34
Dr Pepper
Retired Dormant Member

Yeah the radio has "Made In Korea" on the bottom left of the radio on the aluminium bit.

Bit disappointed that it seems to be an 80's radio rather than a 70's one obviously not as vintage as I thought. But still its functional and I do like the look of it, its different. Had it in the bathroom tonight for a bit of company while I chilled out in the bath so at least it still has a purpose even if it is only 25 years old or so. For £1:50 who can complain?

Hybrid, I was looking at your ITT Colt radio over the past couple of days and noticed a resemblance in the style. I fancy buying more 70's radios. I have been looking through life on mars episodes tonight and m aking a few images to upload here. Ill create a new thread for it somewhere and post a link here.

- Dan
Closed Thread