UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2022, 7:33 pm   #1
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Default Project Gone Wrong

So i decided to add a bluetooth module to my old HI-FI, Used the CD Player's amp input and installed a switch to switch between the bluetooth module and the CD Player, So far so good, Now i had to find a 5v supply to power the module, Found a 5v supply inside the HI-FI but it was causing buzzing etc,

So i decided to knock up a 5v regulator on some stripboard using a LM317T, Have a bag of them i bought from china years ago, But the circuit kept burning up the resistors So i thought they must be fakes and ditched that idea, I went back to it today and discovered i had made a schoolboy error, So circuit all working and tested i screwed the HI-FI Back together plugged it in and nothing No power, I traced the fault to a solder splash bridging the output of the transformer, Removed the bridge still no power, Took all the screws out the HI=FI but it still wouldn't come apart but i managed to get my hand in far enough to remove the blown transformer fuse, All working now

Moral of the story is don't solder over a PCB

Everything that could have gone wrong did
Old 1st Oct 2022, 8:01 pm   #2
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Project Gone Wrong

The other moral of the story is perseverance! Well done for going through methodically and working out what was wrong, resulting in a successful outcome.
Old 1st Oct 2022, 8:14 pm   #3
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

The best and ever lasting way to learn is by mistakes, as long as it isn't too costly in any way..
Old 1st Oct 2022, 8:15 pm   #4
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
The other moral of the story is perseverance! Well done for going through methodically and working out what was wrong, resulting in a successful outcome.
Cheers

Was ready to chuck the thing in the bin after i took all the screws out and it still wouldn't come apart most probably due to lashings of hot glue from the factory, Oh and the AM bar antenna came free from it's mounting point due to me removing a screw which i thought at the time was holding the PCB in the casing, Luckily none of the wires broke off
Old 1st Oct 2022, 8:17 pm   #5
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Marine View Post
The best and ever lasting way to learn is by mistakes, as long as it isn't too costly in any way..
Thing is when i was soldering the module over the top of the HI=FI PCB i thought i should cover the PCB To prevent solder splashes, Then i thought nah it'll be fine

Last edited by Radio Scotland; 1st Oct 2022 at 8:26 pm. Reason: typo
Closed Thread