UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2022, 2:42 pm   #1
garymeek
Diode

Default Dansette Conquest Auto - No Sound

Hi

Not a beginner to fixing things, but certainly a beginner where vintage audio equipment is concerned

A friend has dropped round a Dansette Conquest Auto. It turns on ok, and plays a record but there doesn't seem to be any output. You can hear some audio from the stylus itself. The unit was left in storage for a while unused.

I've popped my finger over the end of the red stylus wire and get a strong hum from that - so think the amp itself is ok.

It has a BSR X3M cartridge - unsure if this is original or not. I've read that these cartridges can fail for no apparent reason (likely corrosion).

I'm guessing these are obsolete but there maybe alternatives that fit ?

It looks to me like it has a valve amp, so unsure if the above cartridge is actually correct based on some research,

Any advice greatly and thankfully received

Kind Regards
Old 13th Sep 2022, 8:21 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto - No Sound

It does have a valve amp. The non-original BSR X3M cartridge has probably failed - as they do. The most easy and best solution is to fit a BSR X5M stereo-compatible cartridge. If not that a BSR SC12H or a BSR SC11M stereo cartridge. If fitting these the LH and RH channels must be bridged. A cheaper option is a Chou-Dentsu Clone (red/black) chinese cartridge supplied with a 1/2" mount. It's Stereo so again it will need to be bridged.
Old 29th Sep 2022, 1:24 pm   #3
garymeek
Diode

Default Re: Dansette Conquest Auto - No Sound

Hi Edward.

Thanks for the response I've ordered a BSR X5M / X-5M compatible replacement

I tested the amp by connecting an MP3 player via tonearm connections - and the amplifier appeared to be working ok
Closed Thread