UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2022, 8:38 pm   #1
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Marconi TF2370

On Sunday I wasn't making good progress and added my tuppence worth to this "I'm an Idiot" thread after killing a regulator chip.

Well my replacement linear regulator arrived today which is a 10 pin circular can and not too easy to replace a second time with tracks falling off the board but after that I was still struggling to identify why one of the 5 volt rails was shorted.

The TF2370 is in two halves and fortunately it can be powered up with the RF section unplugged. Even with all the plug-in cards removed from the digital chassis I still had a short circuit and it wasn't obvious to me where else this rail supplied. There is a thyristor over volt protection on the rail but disconnecting that I still had a 0.3 ohm short.

Some of the wiring harness has rather tightly packed connections in places and with shaky hands and poor close vision I was a bit reluctant to unsolder parts of it but desperation forced my hand and I eventually tracked it down to the front panel and to one of the push button switches. I thought this was a bit odd but on turning it upside down I discovered that there was a ground wire with the insulation cracking off. In an instrument that is entirely wired in plastic coated wires this was a big surprise.

Anyway, I glad to report that the old TF2370 back in operation again.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100294 (Medium).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	262091   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100296 (Medium).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	262092   Click image for larger version

Name:	2370n (Medium).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	262093  
Old 4th Aug 2022, 12:35 am   #2
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi TF2370

Well done, they are nice units!
On a sort of similar vein.
The other day, on a pair of joined phono to phono leads...I had slightly intermittent audio but not totally dissapearing on one channel, the audio was dropping a few dB, after half an hour of moving cables around and twisting and pulling them, I found a cable had more or less disintegrated inside partially shorting the inner conductor to the outer screen (this was discovered only after I decided to cut it open).
These were moulded grey Phono to phono cables from the early 70's at a guess.
Life is a gas, or is it a beer?
Closed Thread