UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2022, 5:39 pm   #41
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.
Default Re: Bush VHF61 'half resto' repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Mariner View Post
I found that drift was caused by the rubber mounting grommets for the tuning assembly being perished.
An interesting theory. I did wonder if the drifting was caused by more of a physical thing rather than an electronic cause - although you could still possibly argue that this was still 'physical'.

My VH61 has been on for a few hours now and is rock solid with no further drifting, as is normal with this set. You'd think that bad grommets would be continuously varying and causing small movements over all that time, but certainly something to think about and possibly investigate further.
My theory is that the dial cord goes round the far end pulley (which is firmly attached to the chassis via its support), and the drum, obviously part of the tuning assembly. When the tuning knob is turned the whole tuning assembly moves on the perished grommets. When a station is tuned in, the tuning assembly slowly starts to return to its natural resting position unopposed by the perished grommets. The only "give" being small rotations of the drum hence causing the drift. If the grommets are really shot you can see this happening.
You could try wedging bits between the tuning assembly and the chassis but in the end I prefer to do a proper job which is quite involved.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 4:32 pm   #42
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I have to say that mine drifts rather on FM as it warms up. I have a second one on the shelf waiting to be done so it will be interesting to see how stable that is
Having recently bought a Philips wobbulator I thought I would check the FM discriminator alignment. It was quite a way off and adjusting it (albeit without being able to get a 10.7 MHz marker) has generally improved things. It has been running for an hour or so now with much less drift.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 5:55 pm   #43
Leon Crampin
Octode

The grommet theory could be verified by tuning a weak MW station at the HF end of the dial (within the rather poor AM capabilities of this set). If it shifts off tune on AM, it's probably the grommets.

Leon.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 9:00 pm   #44
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

I suspect that the drift is still there but realigning the detector has widened its acceptance range and reduced the need for retuning.
Old 7th Nov 2022, 11:48 pm   #45
PaulR
Dekatron

Yes, that is what I thought. The drift is still there but apparently much reduced.