UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:28 am   #1
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Power supply problem

I have a Farnell LS30-10 PSU which I have used for powering stuff and charging batteries for the last 30 or so years. But I need a PSU for my shed to fill in where conventional chargers can not be used. I have a 24v Hitron SM unit acquired here so I thought "use that". A couple of volts adjustment, so I set it to 26v and checked it with a BIG 20 ohm ww resistor. Perfect. In the shed, I connected it to a 24v battery (2 xs 12v 8Ah in series), but there was a big spark and a hot smell from the Hitron. Disconnect quickly.
Back to electronics room and check it visually but no evidence of damage, so connect to the 20 ohm again. Relief, it still works OK.
So, the question is, can I use this for battery charging, and if so how?
I suppose (hope) I can just add a big diode out of a computer PSU in series, but if so, do I keep the sense joined to the output, or connect it to the diode's output. Or is it simply a "no-no"?
Les.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:41 am   #2
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Power supply problem

I wonder Les, could you have accidentally got the polarity wrong?

I did something similar a couple of months ago with a car battery charger that didn't have polarity protection, pure carelessness I freely admit and I was lucky in that it only blew an internal fuse on the charger. In my defence the + and - markings on the battery in question are not too easy to spot, no excuse really though

A
Old 10th Feb 2018, 1:03 am   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Reverse polarity protection when charging a battery.
Inside the PSU, fit a reverse-biassed diode - something chunky. Then make up a battery charging cable that contains a suitably rated fuse. In the event of a reverse polarity connection of battery to PSU, the diode protects the PSU and puts an effective short-circuit across the battery . . . fuse blows. Just choose the diode carrying current to be substantially bigger than that of the fuse - the idea is to replace the fuse, not the diode!

Al.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 7:00 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Some lab PSUs include 'Down-programming' transistors which dump charge on the output when the voltage setting is at all lower than the voltage on the output. They are smaller than the main series pass devices and burn out when people try to use them to charge batteries.

It's worth checking if a supply has these, or else just adding a series diode to battery charging leads and jacking the voltage up to compensate.

David
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:09 am   #5
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

No, I definitely did not connect the wrong way. In fact I initially connected to a lowish Ah battery about 6v below the set voltage, and there was a spark. It was when I connected to the "full fat" 24v lead acid cells that the spark was bigger, plus that familiar smell. You can get that with a resistor getting hot as well as when semis commit the final surrender.
I will try with a series diode, but where to connect the sense lead?
Thanks, Les.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:18 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

I have found that connecting batteries to PSUs which are OFF can be bad news for the PSU. I now set the voltage and current limits with the leads connected to the battery but with one disconnected at the PSU, turn on the PSU, then connect the other lead to the PSU. (Keeps any sparks away from the battery- a good idea if it's a wet Pb SO4 type.) Obviously it's better to have plug connections at the PSU rather than binding posts when doing this!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread