UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2018, 5:15 pm   #1
Analog Dave
Retired Dormant Member

Default £20 Chinese Function Generators

I'm after some advice. I have a cheap chinese made signal generator that I bought to test my new scope and for some jobs that are waiting to be done once the scope is fixed.

I wanted to know if these cheap generators are good enough for diagnostic work or whether I should look for something older (and bigger) and higher quality.

Thanks
Dave
Old 15th Jan 2018, 5:45 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: £20 Chinese Function Generators

If it's for general audio work it'll be as good as it is.

For general radio work there's only one type of generator needed, a proper RF sig gen with built in modulation facilities, one of those will do for RF/IF/AF signal injection for stage testing, and RF/IF alignment and the general advancement of radio knowledge.....Something along the lines of an Advance E2 or similar spec. one.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 5:47 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: £20 Chinese Function Generators

They're usually not terrible. Certainly do the job. Depends which model it is really.

If it is one that works like this, one thing to watch out for is that they are entirely floating so if you connect a switch mode power supply to one to power it there can be 90v or so of leakage voltage between mains and the output terminals. This can, if you suddenly ground something (think scope ground clip), result in semiconductors breaking down. Perfectly fine if you ground the unit first.
Closed Thread