UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2018, 12:22 pm   #1
NANETTE
Triode

Default R1155. Langite...?

HELLO. Inside the case of my R1155, on the rear cork, is stamped in red “AERO”. This I assume I undersatand. However also is stamped “LANGITE”. Does anyone have a clue what this might mean ( in this context). Many thanks. David
Old 13th Feb 2018, 12:46 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Post Re: R1155. Langite...?

Langite is a copper mineral formed from the oxidation of copper sulphides.

Obviously, an R1155 has lots of copper wiring in it! So it may indicate that sometime in its history, someone has identified such corrosion. If this radio has spent a large chunk of its life in close proximity to many lead-acid batteries in a charging room, that would explain it. The dreaded 'green spot' now springs to mind. So I suggest a thorough investigation of as much wiring as is accessible. (Err, this is an R1155 ).

Al.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 12:51 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: R1155. Langite...?

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Cork_Manufacturing_Co

Lawrence.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 1:04 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

That's an interesting article, Lawrence. Make me wonder if this R1155 has had a modification: the fitting of sheets of langite. Perhaps it is simply that that aforesaid cork sheet is, in fact, langite.
To me, that last idea sounds a good deal more likely that my earlier suggestion.

Al.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 3:48 pm   #5
NANETTE
Triode

Sounds like cork to me - Many thanks everyone. (How dissapointing!).
David
Closed Thread