UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2018, 8:08 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Spy Set SSTR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Sticking to the verifiable facts in ‘Notes from a user’ (link in post #2) , these clearly state that when the set was in use, the output was up to 10W with the valve horizontally mounted and immersed in motor oil as a coolant! I love this ingenuity!
Are you certain?

"SSTR-1 notes from a user:

It had a single 6L6 as a tri-tet oscillator/final and had 10 watts power output. However opening the long slender case the 6L6 was mounted horizontally and could be immersed in a jar of motor oil. Then with a better power supply I could turn this into 50 or more watts."

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 10th Feb 2018 at 8:25 pm.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 8:14 am   #22
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

The manual states a power output of 8 to 15 watts using a 6L6. A 6F6 or 6V6GT/G can be used with reduced output. The psu supplies 400VDC @ 75 mA or 30 W DC. I've never had a long QSO but there is a lot of heat in the confined space of the box.
I can't see how the valve could be immersed in oil. It is mounted horizontal with other components beside it. Have a look: http://militaryradio.com/spyradio/sst-1-b_inside_1.jpg
Old 11th Feb 2018, 8:59 am   #23
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

It's not the first time I have heard of liquid-cooling a metal-canned 6L6, but the sytem I read about had a water jacket around the metal can and water was pumped through the jacket. I can't for the life of me recall where I read it but it does have a G9BF flavour to the story, so perhaps it was in SWM, although 50w sounds a bit too QRP for G9BF!
Old 11th Feb 2018, 3:50 pm   #24
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0SOE_Bruce View Post
The manual states a power output of 8 to 15 watts using a 6L6. A 6F6 or 6V6GT/G can be used with reduced output. The psu supplies 400VDC @ 75 mA or 30 W DC

So basically approx 50% efficient, nice! Also, it might help then OP to note that this output is achieved with 150V more on the HT+ than he is currently using, so there’s a good way to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0SOE_Bruce View Post
I can't see how the valve could be immersed in oil. It is mounted horizontal with other components beside it. Have a look: http://militaryradio.com/spyradio/sst-1-b_inside_1.jpg
Tidy mechanical assembly there! I can see what you mean about the oil immersion. It would be interesting to how this is achieved...maybe the whole thing is partially immersed up to the top of the valve. Intriguing!!
Old 15th May 2018, 6:58 pm   #25
IK0MOZ Mario
Triode

Done or almost done. Tx again with 6V6 and 300 V plate: Out 2 W but I am assembling a new PSU with 400 V and I will use a metal 6L6. RX 3 metal tubes (6AC7-RF Ampl./6AC7- Reg.Det/6Sj7/AF Ampl.) TRF circuit but I am working on a 4 tubes superet. The set is working very well in TX and RX some problem for Net.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSTR-1MOZ.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	162928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Receiver.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	162929  
Old 16th May 2018, 5:40 am   #26
G4YVM David
Heptode

Well the build of this replica is certainly a credit, its excellent. Well done.

And a five watt portable rig...what fun! A most succesful project i think and oh, the lettering is just fine.

David
Old 16th May 2018, 7:50 am   #27
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
There is a video on YouTube on the SSTR-1. It might be of some use to?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kLCvt9nKFs
Roger/G3VKM
I've only just looked at this, and fallen about laughing.

An American spy radio, and the music at the start of the film is by Shostakovitch.

Shostakovitch found himself in hot water in the Stalin era when government officials decided his music didn't sound 'soviet enough'

Maybe the film maker just wanted to give it a USSR vibe, but I'd like to think he had a sense of humour.

David