UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2018, 7:33 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default SteelStik not curing ?

I bought some SteelStik as I was struck by its apparent strength and resilience to high temps; however, days after applying the putty , I can still make an imprint in it with my thumbnail ...

Instructions are sketchy; it’s not a two part filler and something is obviously wrong here. Anyone know if there could be a grey market imitation ?

Cheers
Old 25th Jan 2018, 8:16 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: SteelStik not curing ?

I'm not familiar with SteelStik - but assuming it's some kind of epoxy-based putty - is it still within-date?

Someone I knew bought some "JB-Weld" a while back, which was really cheap because it was after its use-by date. It didn't set properly.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:16 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

For decades, one of the most popular programmes (programs?) on American Public Radio was "Car Talk"; a phone-in to solve your car maintenance problems hosted by two of the funniest guys you can imagine. They were huge fans of JB Weld products in general, but this is the first time I've ever heard of Steelstik.

I have some very old tubes of Araldite, bought in a closing down sale well over 20 years ago. I happily use it on non-critical stuff and usually help it along by placing the assembled items in the airing cupboard overnight.

B
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:42 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Is it supposed to cure hard?
As far as I can tell, it's intended as a sealant rather than for structural work.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:18 pm   #5
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

According to the blurb:

SteelStik is a non-rusting, steel reinforced epoxy putty that quickly repairs or rebuilds anything made of metal. After mixing, it forms an industrial-strength polymer compound that can be molded, built up or used to patch and repair steel components. SteelStik sets in three to five minutes and after sixty minutes, can be drilled, tapped, machined, ground, filed and even painted. SteelStik is rated at a tensile strength of 900 PSI and will withstand temperatures of up to 148ºC (300ºF).

Cheers,

Frank
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:35 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Sounds like you need a hardener Al. I've used Plastic Padding which is similar stuff and known to be reliable, no idea if it's any good at high temps. Tenner- ish a tin off ebay and probably your local car nic-nac sellers.

Andy.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 9:17 am   #7
Scimitar
Heptode

It is definitely a two component epoxy. You need to mix it thoroughly with its hardener before it will react. Without it, it will just dry out the solvent and give you the problem you have.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 9:54 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I can highly recommend 'Super Steel' which I've used extensively. It's a two-part epoxy which sets rock hard in minutes and can be filed, drilled and sanded. (Despite its name, it isn't electrically conductive - I've tested it at 1,000 Volts on a strip of glass). I use it for such tasks as repairing cabinets, rebuilding smoothing caps, re-stuffing vintage caps, filling unwanted holes in die-cast boxes, reinforcing the rear of cracked glass dials, and so forth. It's dark grey in colour when cured.

Available on e-bay, or from Halfords and others:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pai...eel-epoxy-weld

Hope that helps.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 1:30 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hey Scimitar, it just came as one tube of one material. It seems it has to be kneaded thoroughly to activate the fixer. It’s a bit of a pain but as it hasn’t set , I’ve managed to poke most of it out.

I do have another super strong 2 part epoxy that I will use instead.

David, I’ll investigate the product you recommend, SuperSteel, as it sounds very useful indeed , especially with that level of insulation once it’s cured !
Old 26th Jan 2018, 6:15 pm   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Google suggests that there are a number of products by the name of SteelStik, made, or at least marketed, by different companies.
Closed Thread